Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad file transfer.

I’ve been told i5 is possible to transfer files.. (not photos or pictures) from an iPad to a flash drive..

I’m sceptical… is it possible?

iPad mini 4, iPadOS 15

Posted on Jun 13, 2022 7:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2022 7:53 AM

Yes, you can transfer files using a USB Storage device - although depending upon iPad model, you may require an appropriate adapter.

If your iPad has a Lightning connector, you will require an Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter:

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MK0W2ZM/A

Don’t be fooled by the name; this adapter allows you to connect many different USB devices, including USB storage to your iPad.

USB storage must be pre-formatted as FAT, FAT32, exFAT (i.e., FAT64) or APFS. Proprietary Microsoft formats, such as NTFS, are not supported.

See >>> Connect external storage devices to iPad - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 13, 2022 7:53 AM in response to thefirstfrogzone

Yes, you can transfer files using a USB Storage device - although depending upon iPad model, you may require an appropriate adapter.

If your iPad has a Lightning connector, you will require an Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter:

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MK0W2ZM/A

Don’t be fooled by the name; this adapter allows you to connect many different USB devices, including USB storage to your iPad.

USB storage must be pre-formatted as FAT, FAT32, exFAT (i.e., FAT64) or APFS. Proprietary Microsoft formats, such as NTFS, are not supported.

See >>> Connect external storage devices to iPad - Apple Support

Jun 13, 2022 2:59 PM in response to thefirstfrogzone

Any model of iPad running iPadOS13 or later can utilise external USB storage.

Be aware that you should always keep your iPad updated to the most recent version of iOS/iPadOS that your device will support - as updates contain both functional and critical system security updates. The most recent version, at time of writing, is iPadOS 15.5.

iPad file transfer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.