Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set up file sharing on Catalina 10.15.7

I'm trying to transfer a large file from my MacBook Pro to my Mac Mini over the WiFi network.

On the Mac Mini (Mojave 10.15.7) I can see the MacBook Pro under network but it keeps saying connection failed whatever of the 3 methods I try to connect:

When I go into the file sharing menu on the MacBook Pro (Catalina 10.15.7), I get some really strange behaviour trying to turn on file sharing:

See sceenrecording.

https://youtu.be/GL4xWD1BUYE

When I click the check box nothing happens (it remains unchecked and no message appears to explain why it can't be checked).

PS: I tried sharing with AirDrop and it works, but it is very slow because I have a 10 GB file to transfer.

Posted on Jun 13, 2022 9:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2022 10:34 AM

The three methods of connecting to a shared computer are:

• Connect as a Guest
  • Using an Apple ID

They appear as options when you press the "Connect as..." button.

They are described on this help page: 

10 replies

Jun 16, 2022 10:40 AM in response to Tesserax

Thanks for trying. Not sure its a network issue since screensharing, Media sharing and airdrop are working fine. It's only file sharing that cannot be enabled in preferences. The clipboard is also being shared between these computers. Regardless of whether there is a problem with my setup, there is a bug or design error in the preferences GUI for not raising an error or showing a message when the checking of a box is not possible. Ideally, from a GUI design point of view, a checkbox should be greyed-out if it is not checkable. If not, the checkmark should appear when you click it!

Jun 13, 2022 12:01 PM in response to Tesserax

I do not have any firewall software. Also the VPN I use for university is disconnected.

As explained in the question, the main problem is that I cannot enable file sharing on the MacBook Pro from which I want to copy a file. The video linked in the question shows what happens when I try to select 'file sharing using AFP'. Here are some screenshots in case you can't see the video:

1. in the file sharing options dialog

1. After pressing 'done'

It is impossible to turn the File Sharing checkbox on within a few milliseconds of checking it, it is unchecked (see video).

Jun 13, 2022 11:16 AM in response to billtubbs

Ok, thanks for clarifying the methods. How about my other questions related to software firewalls and pings?

You mentioned having this issue over a Wi-Fi network. Is it possible to connect both devices by Ethernet (to the same network) for the transfer?

I'm also assuming that you enabled File Sharing on the MacBook Pro ... correct?

Jun 13, 2022 12:04 PM in response to billtubbs

Also, I should mention that initially, when I first tried to view the files on the MacBook Pro from the Mac Mini, file sharing was already turned on on the MacBook Pro. However, no folders were selected so I added the Downloads folder (which is where the file is the I want to transfer). Still it did not work even though the File Sharing checkbox, at that time, was checked.

Then I went into the options and tried changing from 'Share files and folders using AFP' to 'Share files and folders using SMB'. At this point it unchecked both and File Sharing became unchecked. Neither can be turned on now.

Jun 13, 2022 1:14 PM in response to Tesserax

Thanks. I tried that. Screen sharing can be turned on and off (and also works fine, I tested it). Only File Sharing and now Media Sharing can't be turned back on after being turned off. Must be a bug somewhere. You expect a GUI to raise a warning or message if a check box can't be checked. Not do nothing.

I also tried restarting and that didn't help.

I gave up in the end and waited for the 15 minute AirDrop to complete (making sure neither computer went to sleep during the transfer!).

Jun 13, 2022 5:20 PM in response to billtubbs

Try as I might, I could not duplicate the issue you are having. However, I do not have any Apple devices that are running Catalina (just Monterey and High Sierra), so my configuration does not match yours. I do have a VM of Catalina, but that also worked fine for file sharing. My network is based on Ubiquiti UniFi hardware ... so, chances are, you may not be so that won't help you either.

The only thing I can think of is if there is some type of configuration issue on your network that is preventing your Macs from communicating ... and why I suggested a simple "ping" test from each device. Other than that, I really am out of ideas for the moment. Maybe someone else will chime in and provide you with some insights on what to try next.

How to set up file sharing on Catalina 10.15.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.