Cannot Turn File Sharing On

I cannot get the File Sharing to switch on with my old iMac running Catalina. It has been working and I have been sharing files between it and another M1 laptop for some months. I failed to connect to the MacBook this morning so did the usual of turning off the File Share and then rebooting and then tried to switch it back on by it will not!

I have even booted up in recovery mode and reinstalled Catalina but to no avail.

Can anyone think of any reason and what I can do to get it to switch on?

Thanks

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jun 14, 2022 12:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2022 8:50 PM

I actually found the attached thread useful by manually turning on file sharing using TERMINAL.

Enable and disable file sharing from term… - Apple Community

Here's my synopsis:

1. Close system Preferences (If open)
  2. Open Terminal
  3. Paste: sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.AppleFileServer.plist and press [Enter]
  4. Type your computer password (Typing will not show, do it anyway) and press [Enter]
  5. Paste: sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.smbd.plist and press [Enter]
  6. Type exit and press [Enter]
  7. Once the process finishes, close the Terminal window.
  8. Open System Preferences and go to Sharing
  9. DONE!

I was having this same exact problem with my Mac Mini running Catalina 10.15.7 and this fixed it!

Now my Mac Mini shows it's shared folders on my Macbook Pro running High Sierra 10.13.6!

Similar questions

81 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2022 8:50 PM in response to in_van

I actually found the attached thread useful by manually turning on file sharing using TERMINAL.

Enable and disable file sharing from term… - Apple Community

Here's my synopsis:

1. Close system Preferences (If open)
  2. Open Terminal
  3. Paste: sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.AppleFileServer.plist and press [Enter]
  4. Type your computer password (Typing will not show, do it anyway) and press [Enter]
  5. Paste: sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.smbd.plist and press [Enter]
  6. Type exit and press [Enter]
  7. Once the process finishes, close the Terminal window.
  8. Open System Preferences and go to Sharing
  9. DONE!

I was having this same exact problem with my Mac Mini running Catalina 10.15.7 and this fixed it!

Now my Mac Mini shows it's shared folders on my Macbook Pro running High Sierra 10.13.6!

Mar 17, 2024 2:59 PM in response to Bob Hawkins

Hi everyone, the solution from editor1979 only solve the problem of turn on the smbd and AFP enable share. I'm trying to share a external USB HDD from Mac Mini with MacOS Catalina to use for Time Machine, my client Mac is a Macbook Pro 16" (intel) with Sonoma.

With the editor1979 solution I get to share a disk or folder, but when I try to use to activate a Time Machine from the Macbook Pro with Sonoma with that disk appears this error: The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.apple.TimeMachine.SettingsExtension error 5.)

Searching a solution I found the problem is a security update in MacOS Catalina that change permissions on "smbd" program.

A solution for this is give permissions to smbd to read/write all complete disk:

1. Open system Preferences
  2. Security & Privacy
  3. Privacy tab
  4. Full Disk Access
  5. Click on "+" to add an entry (if you can't click the "+" icon, make click on the padlock and authenticate with an administrator account or just type your password)
  6. Press Command + Shift + g (or Command + G , see the G is uppercase)
  7. copy or type this: /usr/sbin to go to sbin folder, click o go
  8. find and choose "smbd" file
  9. See that recent added "smbd" is checked
  10. Done! your share disk is Ok to use in Time Machine client.

I found the solution in this link thanks to VideoBeagle user: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/cant-connect-to-mounted-usb-drives-over-network-after-catalina-upgrade.2357001/

You can apply this for the AFP (AppleFileServer) program too.

Remember that you can share APFS disk only with smbd, AFP ins't supported anymore for disks formatted with APFS.

I hope this helps.

Nov 20, 2023 12:33 PM in response to Bob Hawkins

I’ve been struggling with this problem for two days. I couldn’t check the “File sharing” box either. Then I just started the smbd process with the command in the terminal

sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.smbd.plist

After that it became possible to check the box “File sharing”. I restarted the computer, Shared access remained active and now everything is working. Hope this helps.

Jun 15, 2022 10:07 AM in response to in_van

Exactly the same problem here. I turned File Sharing off to remove my shared external USB drive, but when I put the drive back on that computer and tried to activate File Sharing the check box will not activate. It's not grey it simply won't "check". I can turn on SMB and apple file share from the command line but the authentications fail.

Jun 16, 2022 10:25 AM in response to faith185

faith,

I think Bob Hawkins, rye-guy, ryan_nmr and myself would like to repeat the same thing I told Dustin yesterday:

This is not the problem.

We all had perfectly working configurations until like a couple days ago. Then according to Bob's work (see his second post above), the latest security update on Catalina made the main checkbox to turn sharing on or off not work anymore. So if it's on, it cannot be turned off, and if it's off it cannot be turned on.

That's a strange issue. Can someone at Apple write a bug on Radar for this?

(In my case since that machine could actually get to BigSur I finally upgraded and things work again, but for everyone whose hardware is stuck pre BigSur this is a major issue.)

Jun 15, 2022 9:39 AM in response to Dustin_R_308

Dustin, that page does not help for this case.

The checkbox to turn on File Sharing never become checked. I have the same issue as Bob on a Catalina device, it just wont turn on.

-No error message, nothing in system.log.

-Only folder I have configured for sharing is my Public folder

-smbd has full disk access in Privacy settings

it used to work, but it doesn't anymore.

Jun 16, 2022 6:14 AM in response to Bob Hawkins

Hello Bob,

Make sure that your current user account has the correct permissions using the guidance from Set up file sharing on Mac - Apple Support. Those settings may be preventing you from making these changes or accessing the files.

If that doesn't help, check to see if this happens in another user account. Testing in another admin user account can help to isolate where this occurs. If you don't have another admin user account to test, you can set up a temporary account using the steps from Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac.

In most cases, issues that occur in one user account are related to login items. So, if you find that an issue only occurs in your user account, remove your login items and test again. Check out Remove login items to resolve startup problems on your Mac.

Have a great day!

Jun 16, 2022 4:59 AM in response to ryan_nmr

Reinstalling Catalina didn't work for me either but today I decided to smash the nut with a sledgehammer and totally erased the iMac. After doing a SuperDuper backup I booted up in Recovery modem went into Disk Utilities and erased/removed the internal volumes and then added a new one. I then installed Catalina again on that new volume. Low and behold I could then both turn on and off the File Sharing. Great, I thought, until I then ran a software update check and there was a security update for the version that I was running After updating that I found that File Sharing was still on. Brilliant, I thought, until I tried turning it off and it would not turn off.

Just to make sure and as I am retired with plenty of spare time on my hands, I repeated the whole exercise again and decided that the security update is the reason for File Sharing not working.

It's now on and will have to stay that way until they come up with a fix.

BUT.... I have 2 M1 laptops and this 2012 iMac and use the same apple ID on all machines with the documents uploaded to iCloud and available to all devices logged in with the ID. After going through the erasing etc above and setting up iMac with the same ID I cannot seem to access the same iCloud as the other devices. I have checked the log in credentials but the iCloud that the iMac sees does not have the documents that the other devices have. I even went to appleid.com and changed the password which I then had to update on all devices, including the iMac so that suggests that they are all on the same ID.

I'm in the process of restoring the SuperDuper backup so possibly the iMac may then be able to see the same iCloud but if there's something that I'm missing I'd be grateful if you could advise.

Regards

Jun 16, 2022 9:17 AM in response to Bob Hawkins

You are amazing! That is great detective work and thank you for the confirmation. I spent all yesterday on tech support moving up the food chain. Stumped everyone. Has nothing to do with login items, permissions, full disk access, ...the file sharing service just does not check box "on". I can use the command line and launchctl to manually start the smb or apple file service, but authentication fails. I was about to wipe and re-install but it looks like doing so would be a waste of time. Greatly appreciate the work you've done. Thank you!

Jun 21, 2022 3:19 AM in response to faith185

Hi Faith

I had the same problem, the Untickable File Sharing Box. I tried checking by setting up a test user account. the file sharing box was untickable in the test user as well. I too used up a lot of Apple's tech support line's time without any resolution to the problem.

After about six hours work and help from my son, we worked out that because my system includes an iMac with a remote SSD boot hard drive, which had not been upgraded to the latest version of Catalina, we could do a work around. By booting from the SSD, I am now able to have one Mac that is capable of file sharing.

It would be useful to know if Apple plan to fix the file sharing issue.

Thanks for your help.

Mark

Jun 21, 2022 8:09 AM in response to editor1979

Thank you thank you! This worked perfectly for me. I was able to get both services up and running and authentication properly resumed. I now have an external drive connected and doing time machine backups of all my family's laptops. Previously I'd just tried the smbd and authentication didn't turn on. Looks like turning on both got me moving. I have not tried clicking off the check mark "File Share".....3rd rule Ain't broke don't fix it.

Cannot Turn File Sharing On

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.