Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Camera Roll to iCloud?

My iPhone keeps giving me a warning that my storage is full and I can gain space by putting my camera roll into the cloud/iCloud. Incidentally, I pay monthly for additional storage.

I was confused by an answer to another member.

If I want to move any or all of my photos into iCloud will they stay there indefinitely? How would I access them?

what if I at some point got a new iPhone and cancelled the additional paid storage, would I lose them?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

iPhone 6s, iOS 15

Posted on Jun 13, 2022 9:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2022 10:15 AM

PlayaGalEcho613 wrote:

If I want to move any or all of my photos into iCloud will they stay there indefinitely?

Yes. As long as you keep them there and don't delete them.

How would I access them?

From the Photos app. Photos stored in iCloud continue to appear in the Photos app as normal. You don't need to do anything different.

what if I at some point got a new iPhone and cancelled the additional paid storage, would I lose them?

If you cancelled the paid storage, you would lose anything that exceeds the free 5GB space. But you should not really cancel it. If you get a new iPhone, your iCloud storage remains with you as it is tied to your Apple ID and not a specific device.

Your new iPhone would be able to access said storage, and the photos kept there by simply turning on iCloud Photos in Settings->Photos.

Also, to reduce the space taken up directly on the iPhone, you would need to turn on Optimize Storage in Settings->Photos (the Optimize Storage option, is only available after you turn on iCloud Photos).

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 13, 2022 10:15 AM in response to PlayaGalEcho613

PlayaGalEcho613 wrote:

If I want to move any or all of my photos into iCloud will they stay there indefinitely?

Yes. As long as you keep them there and don't delete them.

How would I access them?

From the Photos app. Photos stored in iCloud continue to appear in the Photos app as normal. You don't need to do anything different.

If you cancelled the paid storage, you would lose anything that exceeds the free 5GB space. But you should not really cancel it. If you get a new iPhone, your iCloud storage remains with you as it is tied to your Apple ID and not a specific device.

Your new iPhone would be able to access said storage, and the photos kept there by simply turning on iCloud Photos in Settings->Photos.

Also, to reduce the space taken up directly on the iPhone, you would need to turn on Optimize Storage in Settings->Photos (the Optimize Storage option, is only available after you turn on iCloud Photos).

Camera Roll to iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.