Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I don't use Goggle Chrome on my iMac. So please tell me how to delete Search Marquis from Safari.

I don't use Google Chrome - how do I delete Marquis search engine?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 13, 2022 10:16 AM

5 replies

Jun 13, 2022 12:01 PM in response to May1322

Getting rid of "Search Marquis" is easy and you don't need to install anything.

To ascertain the cause so that you can eliminate it, start by inspecting the contents of the following folder:

~/Library/LaunchAgents

To open that folder, copy the entire line above and paste it in the Finder's Go menu > Go to Folder... field. Make it look like this:

... and click the Go button.

A Finder window will open. Make sure all its file names are readable by selecting View > as List or other selection that shows that folder's complete contents. Then, take a screenshot of that Finder window.

Often, there is nothing in that Launch Agents folder so don't be surprised to find it empty.

In the same manner as the above, navigate to this next folder:

/Library/LaunchDaemons

The Finder's Go menu > Go to Folder... field should look like this:

... and click the Go button once again.

Once again ensure all its files and their names are readable and capture a screenshot.

Then, repeat that exercise with the following folder:

/Library/LaunchAgents

Notice its pathname is different than the other two. The Finder's Go menu > Go to Folder... field should look like this:

In the end, you will have captured the contents of the following three separate folders:

~/Library/LaunchAgents

/Library/LaunchDaemons

/Library/LaunchAgents

All three will be saved to your Mac's Desktop with names "Screen Shot... " followed by the date and time they were captured. Please be sure to include or otherwise indicate the name of the folder that corresponds to each screenshot, so that you and I can keep track of which ones they are.

Post the entire contents of all three windows, one at a time, using the "picture" icon that appears below your reply text:

Jun 29, 2022 9:02 AM in response to CD0421

CD0421, follow the instructions below.

First, ensure you have a reliable backup of your Mac, in case something should go wrong with continued troubleshooting. To learn how to do that, please read Back up your Mac with Time Machine.

• A backup is a fundamental prerequisite regardless of whatever method you may choose uninstall adware, and would apply even if your Mac were running perfectly well. Do not overlook this fundamental requirement. It's important.

Next: This step will prevent the scam products from loading so that they can be removed while they are inactive. Restart in "Safe Mode", and log in: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac. Starting in Safe Mode takes longer than usual so let it finish. The rogue processes affecting that Mac are inoperative in "Safe Mode".

The following files and / or folders need to be deleted while using your Mac in "Safe Mode":

First screenshot:

Delete all the files in that folder except the ones with "google" in their names.

Nothing needs to be deleted from the other two screenshots.

Drag those selections of files to the Trash. You may be asked to authenticate. Confirm they are no longer present in that folder. Leave all the others alone for now.

Next: open Safari and select the Safari menu > Preferences... > Extensions. If you see any Safari Extensions that you do not recognize or understand, simply click the Uninstall button and they will be gone. No Safari Extensions are required for normal operation. Then, select the General pane and review your Homepage selection. Repeat those equivalent actions for any other browser you may use (Brave, Firefox, or Opera for example).

There may also be adware-associated app icons in your Mac's Applications folder. Open it and examine its contents. Any unwanted or mysterious app icons should be obvious to you, but again please don't remove anything if you are uncertain—ask first. Identify any suspicious apps by name, or post another screenshot.

Next: In an abundance of caution, examine System Preferences > Extensions. Determine if there are any System Extensions that may have been installed without your knowledge. Ask if you're uncertain.

Remaining in System Preferences, check for the presence of any Profiles. Profiles are installed by organizations with a need to manage Macs deployed in institutional corporate or educational environments (for example), but have also been exploited by adware creators and similar malcontents. If any Profiles are installed on your Mac an icon like this will appear in System Preferences:

If you see that icon in System Preferences, select it. To remove a Profile, select it, then click the [—] (minus) button and authenticate.

Remaining in System Preferences, open Users & Groups. Select your User Account's Login Items. You may or may not find those Applications in its list. If you do, select them then click the [—] (minus) button to remove them from Login Items.

You can then restart your Mac and log in as usual. Evaluate its operation and ensure everything is working as you expect it should.

Next: if you want to eradicate all remaining adware remnants post a screenshot of the following folder, in the same manner as you did earlier:

~/Library/Application Support

It is normal for that folder to contain many items, but anything associated with the above adware may contain identical names. If you find a folder or folders bearing those names, drag those folders to the Trash. Without the files you already removed or the reintroduction of similar malware, they can do nothing but occupy space. These can be removed if you wish, but again don't remove anything if you are uncertain.

Finally: If any of the above actions result in abnormal operation or if something else stops working, the easiest way to recover would be to restore the Time Machine backup you created as a prerequisite, so the importance of that fundamental step cannot be overemphasized.

Jun 13, 2022 11:22 AM in response to May1322

Adware. Look at this article—it addresses Safari as well as Chrome—

https://cybernews.com/malware/how-to-remove-search-marquis-on-mac/

⚠️ BUT!!!!! ⚠️

use the MANUAL METHODS ONLY. The AV product that the site pushes has, based on years of reports here, caused more problems than it fixed!. Obviously an advertiser—note the disclaimer at the top of the page:

At least they don't hide it like too many other sites.

Outside of a recommendation to use a product that is demonstrably Mac-unfriendly, the tips at the bottom for avoiding future adware issues are good.

I don't use Goggle Chrome on my iMac. So please tell me how to delete Search Marquis from Safari.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.