Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can two-step verification increase security?

If a person has my device and my password how can two-step verification in any way increase my security? Wouldn't using my device ID provide the same security?

Posted on Jun 13, 2022 1:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2022 1:57 PM

Two-Factor Authentication protects your Apple ID, not your devices. Your devices should be protected with a strong passcode and no one but you should have that passcode for any reason.

If a person has your device's passcode they can access the device but they cannot access your Apple ID or add other devices to the Apple ID.

2-Factor Authentication prevents anyone from accessing your account even if they have your email and password for it.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 13, 2022 1:57 PM in response to Rattler_24

Two-Factor Authentication protects your Apple ID, not your devices. Your devices should be protected with a strong passcode and no one but you should have that passcode for any reason.

If a person has your device's passcode they can access the device but they cannot access your Apple ID or add other devices to the Apple ID.

2-Factor Authentication prevents anyone from accessing your account even if they have your email and password for it.

How can two-step verification increase security?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.