Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gmail - Unable to verify account name or password

Only recently, maybe 2 weeks ago, suddenly I cannot sign in to any of my 3 personal Gmail accounts on IOS or OSX mail, I set them up not using the "Gmail" button when you set up your accounts as I didn't want to use IMAP so I set them up using pop3 manually and they have all been working fine for years but now suddenly no, they will not connect on Mail on OSX or IOS, browser webmail is no problem, I cannot find the problem on IOS or OSX mail and I am not even getting the emails saying suspicious sign in detected was it you? ...just "Unable to verify account name or password"

I've searched and searched for an answer, but can't find anything, I've tried every browser under the sun changed passwords, cleared caches, private / incognito browsing but all I want is for it to go back to being able to receive and work on mail on my Macs and iPhones, I've tried over 6 different devices that ALL worked fine a couple of weeks ago.

All I can think is Google has changed some security update and I don't know how to use it now without using the mail "Gmail" set up with gives me IMAP which I don't want as I need everyone using this mail to see an unread email on their device and read it on their own device not have it synced across all devices as read after only one person has read it,

Can anyone help ?

iPhone XR

Posted on Jun 13, 2022 8:45 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

Jun 14, 2022 7:26 PM in response to Atmospheres

Atmospheres Said:

"Gmail - Unable to verify account name or password: it works on EVERY browser o every device, but it does NOT work on Mac mail or iOS mail on any device"

-------

Thanks for the screenshot.

Getting a Successfully Mail Sign In:

From all mentioned, there is an error connecting to Google's eMail servers. So, contact Google, informing them of what is going on, and how you could solve this.

So, some more on this.

• Clear Temporary Intet Files:

Clear to Cookes and caches on your browsers.

• Change the Browser:

So, did you change the default browser? If not, try doing so.

• Disable caps lock:

Make sure that caps lock is disabled when entering this password.

• Use an External Keyboard:

Plug an external keyboard into your Mac, and use a bluetooth bodyboard on your iOS device.

Jun 14, 2022 6:39 PM in response to Atmospheres

Atmospheres Said:

"Gmail - Unable to verify account name or password: [...]I have changed my email passwords on the mail accounts but it doesn't make any difference and I can log in fine on a browser so it's something to do with gmail and mac mail, just can't work out what,[...]"

-------

Use an App-Password --It is intended for third-party apps. So, create an app password using the following link, and then use that for the password on your Mail app. Report back if it works: Sign in with App Passwords - Google Account Help - Google

Jun 14, 2022 6:51 PM in response to Atmospheres

Atmospheres Said:

"Gmail - Unable to verify account name or password: [...]I have changed my email passwords on the mail accounts but it doesn't make any difference and I can log in fine on a browser so it's something to do with gmail and mac mail, just can't work out what,[...]"

-------

Change the Default Browser from Chrome to Safari.

Source: Trying to add Gmail account to Apple Mail and getting the spinning wheel. - Apple Community

Jun 13, 2022 9:14 PM in response to Atmospheres

Atmospheres Said:

"Gmail - Unable to verify account name or password: [...]they have all been working fine for years but now suddenly no, they will not connect on Mail on OSX or IOS, browser webmail is no problem, [...]All I can think is Google has changed some security update[...]"

-------

Use a New App Password:

Do you use an App Password? If so, try a new App Password. Sometimes, changes (i.e. updates) are made to the device, and then mail server syncing becomes an issue (which is what a new App Password it intended to fix). Go here for gmail: Sign in with App Passwords - Google Account Help - Google

Jun 14, 2022 5:49 PM in response to TheLittles

Thank you for your reply, but I don't use an app password, this is using mac mail on OSX and mail on IOS, I have changed my email passwords on the mail accounts but it doesn't make any difference and I can log in fine on a browser so it's something to do with gmail and mac mail, just can't work out what, I set up the accounts manually NOT using the "gmail" option when setting up a gmail account in mac mail as I wan to use pop3 and it has worked fine for years and years but now it has suddenly stopped being able to sign in on devices.

I have the less secure 3rd party app thing unchecked so it should not block it but now I am stumped, I really hope someone can help as I have lost use of 3 emails on all my devices unless I sign in using a browser or use the gmail app which will use IMAP which I don't want to use, anyone any ideas ?

Jun 14, 2022 7:48 PM in response to Atmospheres

Atmospheres Said:

"Gmail - Unable to verify account name or password: I figured it out after hours, I had to turn on 2 step verification for all my emails, then go back to the security page of my google account and click on app password and make one for 'mail' and substitute it on ALL my devices to make them work again, what a total waste of my time but hopefully this helps someone else !?"

-------

👍

Thanks for spreading the word. Having done so will help many, for certain! Excellent job troubleshooting!

Gmail - Unable to verify account name or password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.