Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Share focus status greyed out after IOS 15.5 update

After IOS 15.5 update my share focus status is greyed out on every contact. I have share across devices on, I don’t have anyone in allowed notifications boxes on the focus status currently turned on.

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Jun 13, 2022 9:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2022 8:18 AM

1 I toggled the iCloud setting on my phone and it didn’t fix it.

2 I removed my older Mac Book from my Apple account (No focus setting)

3 I made sure on my new Mac Book iCloud was on and I still couldn’t toggle shared focus

4 on my new Mac book I opened iCloud settings again and realized Messages wasn’t selected. I toggled it on, rebooted both my phone and my Mac book and …. Success!!!

5 az921 you are a HERO! I spent hours and hours with Apple support over this! Thank you!!!

🙏🙏🙏

48 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2022 8:18 AM in response to byu777

1 I toggled the iCloud setting on my phone and it didn’t fix it.

2 I removed my older Mac Book from my Apple account (No focus setting)

3 I made sure on my new Mac Book iCloud was on and I still couldn’t toggle shared focus

4 on my new Mac book I opened iCloud settings again and realized Messages wasn’t selected. I toggled it on, rebooted both my phone and my Mac book and …. Success!!!

5 az921 you are a HERO! I spent hours and hours with Apple support over this! Thank you!!!

🙏🙏🙏

Jul 6, 2022 2:27 PM in response to JRBR549

Description: Share Focus Status is greyed out.

I cannot see when other iPhones have focus shared and notifications silenced in Messages and other iPhones do not see my [username] has notifications silenced in their Messages app.

What has been tried with Apple Support and had zero success:

• toggling off and on Focus
  • toggling off and on Settings / Focus / Share Across Devices
  • toggling off and on Settings / Messages / Allow Messages to Access Focus
  • toggling off and on Settings / Privacy / Focus / Shared with Messages
  • logging out of iCloud everywhere else (two Mac laptops)
  • removing those additional Mac OS devices from iCloud so that my iPhone was the only thing listed
  • Resetting iPhone with General / Transfer or Reset iPhone / Reset All Settings

I really like the feature of my friends being able to see that I was on Do Not Disturb and had notifications silenced when they try to Message me. It was working great everywhere for a while. Broken for the last 3 weeks or so.

Jun 15, 2022 7:43 AM in response to Shaneyfelt82

Hello Shaneyfelt82,

Thanks for choosing the Apple Support Communities. To start, let's ensure a few things are set. Please make sure the following are enabled:

1. Settings > Focus > Share Across Devices is enabled
  2. Settings > Privacy > Focus > Messages is enabled
  3. Settings > Messages > Focus also displays as enabled

If you're using any other devices signed into the same Apple ID, make sure they have the same settings. Let us know what you find, and we'll go from there.

More info on using Focus can be found here.

Use Focus on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Cheers!

Sep 8, 2022 7:14 PM in response to Shaneyfelt82

I did pretty much everything everyone has suggested in this forum, even the iCloud drive, but none seemed to change anything.

Someone mentioned old laptops under the same apple ID ... I have two old laptops still connected to my Apple ID and there is no Focus setting like in Mac OS 12.5.1. I wonder if that breaks the Share Across Device setting on my iPhone and that causes 1) my Share Focus Status to be greyed out like most of you and 2) others don't see the message "This person has notifications silenced" in Messages.

Jul 13, 2022 6:15 AM in response to Itsericayo

Itsericayo wrote:

Apple refuses to fix this problem everyone who updated their phone has. It’s been like this for over a month.

No, most people don't have this problem. I don't. I understand the fact that most people don't doesn't help you. But, what it does mean is that it's going to be harder for Apple to figure out what the problem is if only some people have it.

You should be sure to let Apple know about your issue. The more people who do, the more data they will have:

Product Feedback - Apple

Jul 15, 2022 4:24 PM in response to RoyMiller__

I thought that same thing, RoyMiller.

That said, I expected signing out of my iCloud on my older Macbook / 11.6.7) would remove the dependency.

Another potential cause:

• Does anybody experiencing the issue use VPN software on any of their devices?

There has to be something that all of us have in common causing this bug to surface only for us.

Jul 25, 2022 11:34 AM in response to Koheebee

Related / Unrelated: My Mac laptop's Messages app wasn't syncing with my iPhone Messages.

• In Messages/ preferences/ iMessage on my Mac, I put my phone number instead of just my email address (I don't know how my phone number was removed, but now it lists my email AND my iPhone's number)

• iPhone General / Settings / Messages / Text Message Forwarding and selected my Mac laptop

Ten minutes later my girlfriend texts, "hey, I can see your "notifications silenced, notify anyway" , how did you fix it?"

Shocked, I did some troubleshooting with her and sure enough, she can see when I have notifications slienced from either my Mac or my iPhone again.

It's still not entirely fixed because:

• My Mac can see when other iPhone folks have their notifications silenced
  • Folks can see when I have my notifications silenced from my Mac or my iPhone , but my iPhone still can't see when theirs are silenced
  • Share focus status is still "off" and grayed out

I spent another few hours on the Apple support line and they just said try to upgrade to 15.6 - which I did and it didn't fix it.

My question to you fine folks:

Do ANY OF US that are experiencing this issue have just a single iPhone and no other Apple devices associated with your iCloud account?

If my theory is correct, the answer is no.

Also, the Apple tech made the senior techs aware of this thread. Hopefully it will get some traction soon.

Thanks for being in this busted boat with me and trying to figure it out.

Jul 12, 2022 5:29 PM in response to Koheebee

To be more specific this bug is causing paranoia as well.

Allow me to elaborate:

I realized “share focus status” toggle had gone locked/grey/unusable when my significant other & I added a contact at the same time. In my partner’s phone it shows the contact’s “focus status” On, saying the usual “notifications are off” line or whatever. Curious me thought the person’s “focus status” wasn’t showing on my phone because the person hadn't saved my # in their contacts; therefore not allowing me to see their “focus status”, nor share mine as well.

But Then!!! I learned you can share “focus status” with ANY unsaved/or saved number. That’s also when/how I realized my focus toggle was completely locked.

I tested all my theories with my other phones & I that’s how I came to the conclusion it had nothing to do with the person not saving my #.

On one of my iPhones it tells me that my main line’s “focus status” is on, BUT on my main line it doesn’t allow me to fiddle with my own ”focus status” nor see others’ “focus statuses”.

I mean, I guess now I know that my “focus status” is halfway working, since it shows everyone my notifications are off, even though it doesn’t work for my main line or my main phone. I have the newest iOS 15.5 too.

It definitely was an inconvenience because it had me thinking the worst for a moment.

Never assume people always investigate first.

Jul 12, 2022 9:05 AM in response to Shaneyfelt82

From my main Iphone my “Share focus status” option has gone grey too, probably about a week ago, but it shows my other phones that my ”Do not disturb” status is on. I know this because I have multiple phones and I’m able to see it. Yet it doesn’t allow me to select to share it with them (contacts) or not.

it doesn’t tell me if others have their notifications on/off either anymore.

Jul 12, 2022 1:25 PM in response to JRY22

Whoa! Yours is a halfway combo of the issue many of us are seeing. Somehow when your Share Focus Status-option toggle switched "locked to grey", your phone was still in a state to notify others that your notifications are silenced, but you're still not seeing theirs. I already have over 4 hours and multiple calls to Apple support on this... I'm losing faith and time (sigh).

I'm sure this is affecting many more iPhones than Apple knows about. In order to see the bug you actually have to have additional iPhones like you, OR one of your contacts brings it to your attention.

Example: "wait, you were on Do Not Disturb when you didn't respond?? My iPhone Messages app didn't show that you had notifications silenced?!"

Thanks for sharing, JRY22!

Share focus status greyed out after IOS 15.5 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.