You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'Battery is NOT charing' and 'Service Recommended' on a brand new MacBook Pro

I bought this MacBook Pro last year and has been delivered by my friend's hand in 2 days ago.

I set it up right away and found the messages appeared on the right upper corner.

Yes, my another friend bought it for me as a gift from the USA and sent it to the person who planed to come here, Papua New Guinea' in about 3 months from the purchased date.

Things changed because of the 'PANDAMIC', so he could come last week, finally.

The captured images may help you to understand this situation.

Oh, I did try to reset SMC, Pram things more than 3 times each.

Anybody can help me what can I do for it, PlZ???

Posted on Jun 14, 2022 7:03 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2022 7:11 AM

jinhwan64 wrote:

I bought this MacBook Pro last year and has been delivered by my friend's hand in 2 days ago.
I set it up right away and found the messages appeared on the right upper corner.

Yes, my another friend bought it for me as a gift from the USA and sent it to the person who planed to come here, Papua New Guinea' in about 3 months from the purchased date.

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/139717cc-4c88-4aea-9377-3e349318780b
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/64b08539-c6a5-461a-8363-1134cddb6e9b
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/449e7f07-7964-4014-af00-2e4909e9e0bd

Do you say what exact Mac is this...(?)

I have no idea what this is suppose to mean...

"I bought this MacBook Pro last year and has been delivered by my friend's hand in 2 days ago."

It appears your battery has failed, has not been connected properly—but you provide no back story.

If it had service return it.

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

https://locate.apple.com/country

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 14, 2022 7:11 AM in response to jinhwan64

jinhwan64 wrote:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/139717cc-4c88-4aea-9377-3e349318780b
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/64b08539-c6a5-461a-8363-1134cddb6e9b
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/449e7f07-7964-4014-af00-2e4909e9e0bd

Do you say what exact Mac is this...(?)

I have no idea what this is suppose to mean...

"I bought this MacBook Pro last year and has been delivered by my friend's hand in 2 days ago."

It appears your battery has failed, has not been connected properly—but you provide no back story.

If it had service return it.

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

https://locate.apple.com/country

Jun 16, 2022 6:41 AM in response to jinhwan64

Apple only ships Lithium-ion Batteries with about a 20% charge to ensure safety during shipping & transport. It appears the battery became completely drained for an extended period of time. A Lithium-ion Battery should never be left completely drained for an extended period of time or permanent damage can occur to the battery. You will need to have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider replace the battery for you which you will need to pay for if the laptop is out of warranty. Depending how the battery replacement is performed (AASP replaces the battery themselves, or whether the AASP mails the laptop to Apple), the cost may vary, but here is an Apple article showing the prices if the laptop is mailed to an Apple mail-in repair depot (an AASP usually cannot match this price since the part price & labor exceed Apple's mail-in price):

Mac Repair - Official Apple Support

FYI, if you have an M1 Mac, then there is no SMC Reset. If you have an Intel Mac, then make sure to review the instructions for performing an SMC Reset since the instructions have changed on the 2018+ Intel Macs.

Jun 16, 2022 7:44 AM in response to y_p_w

y_p_w wrote:

Not sure that being stashed away that long is going to result in catastrophic battery loss. I've actually forgot about a Mac that went into auto shutoff for longer than a year and it came back just fine and still has about 95% of nominal battery capacity.

I have seen some laptops drain more quickly than others even when completely powered off. Plus it only takes a key press to have the laptop to power on so it is always possible the laptop powered on if the display pressed against a key since there is so little clearance between the display & keyboard.

FYI, Normally when storing a Lithium-ion Battery it is recommended to keep the charge level somewhere between 20% to 50%. Unfortunately due to the number of Lithium-ion battery fires, Apple is shipping batteries at about a 20% charge level to ensure they can be shipped safely since a battery fire cannot occur at such a low battery charge level (or is much less likely).

I'm not sure what that Service Recommended warning is because it looks like it's still reporting near full capacity, although that could be inaccurate.

It has two meanings. It can mean the battery capacity is below 80% of the design capacity, or it may mean a hardware fault has been detected with the battery. Since the Full Charge Capacity is so high as shown in the screenshot, it most likely means a hardware fault has been detected. Running the Apple Diagnostics may confirm, but the diagnostics don't always detected all battery failures. It is unfortunate Apple has abandoned the older Battery conditions which did differentiate this before an update to macOS 10.15 which changed the macOS battery health management features. Sometimes a Terminal command can be used to confirm a battery hardware fault, but many times even the command will not list a problem plus the command doesn't provide the same information for an M1 Mac (and I have yet to experience an M1 Mac battery failure to even check if the command would even note it).

It really needs a diagnostic check from Apple or an AASP to figure out what the exact issue is and if it might be something that can be resolved without battery replacement. The worst that could happen of course would that it swells and then messes up the internals.

Agreed. A battery that has a hardware fault or has been discharged for an extended amount of time are much more prone to swelling.

Jun 15, 2022 2:41 AM in response to leroydouglas

Hi,

Like I said,

My friend bought a MacBook Pro (2019) middle of March 2021,

It was handed to 'Another friend', who planed to come last year around June,

He could not make the travel until June 2022.

So I, finally, have got this laptop last week, which is (now) four days ago.

And I migrated this from my old MacBook Pro to this New one.

It also meant I can 'turn on' and use it in [plugged condition].

The images, I attached, said everything I wanted to say.

Jun 16, 2022 7:15 AM in response to HWTech

Not sure that being stashed away that long is going to result in catastrophic battery loss. I've actually forgot about a Mac that went into auto shutoff for longer than a year and it came back just fine and still has about 95% of nominal battery capacity. Of course not an ideal situation and one I wouldn't recommend for anyone to try out.

I'm not sure what that Service Recommended warning is because it looks like it's still reporting near full capacity, although that could be inaccurate. It really needs a diagnostic check from Apple or an AASP to figure out what the exact issue is and if it might be something that can be resolved without battery replacement. The worst that could happen of course would that it swells and then messes up the internals. I can't find any Apple repair in Papua New Guinea. It seems devoid of any Apple official sales or service support.

This is certainly something that would have been handled if it was still within the original warranty period and could be sent to Apple or an AASP. At least if the same condition was present within the warranty, which is possible.

'Battery is NOT charing' and 'Service Recommended' on a brand new MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.