Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple slowing down older devices?

I own a iPhone XS Max and almost immediately after paying off my device, I began to experience an outrageous lag. Even voice calls are no longer working properly. I believe this is an attempt by Apple to push me into replacing my phone with an iPhone 13 ahead of the new iPhone 14 that will be released sometime in the fall of 2022. Has anyone else experienced this severe lag?

iPhone XS

Posted on Jun 14, 2022 1:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2022 1:35 PM

Check your battery health. Go to Settings>Battery>Battery Health. If the Maximum capacity is less than 80%, you need a new battery. Until you get one, performance on your phone may be less than optimal. The software Apple uses to handle this prioritize you not having your battery drain extremely rapidly, leaving you with a dead device.

Getting a new battery is fairly inexpensive and your phone will feel like new again.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 14, 2022 1:35 PM in response to TiredOfDishonestApple

Check your battery health. Go to Settings>Battery>Battery Health. If the Maximum capacity is less than 80%, you need a new battery. Until you get one, performance on your phone may be less than optimal. The software Apple uses to handle this prioritize you not having your battery drain extremely rapidly, leaving you with a dead device.

Getting a new battery is fairly inexpensive and your phone will feel like new again.

Apple slowing down older devices?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.