Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New macbook pro 16" M1 chip stops performing tasks in a reasonable timeframe (Monterey 12.2.1) about once a week

I recently upgraded from my 2017 27" imac. Never had issues with the imac.

I use this macbook with a dell external monitor (via usb-c) which has all sorts of issues but that's another topic.

About once a week, I go to load a webpage and it just spins, youtube will load but won't play a video (safari and chrome), says it's taking longer than usual. The volume button on the keyboard takes about 2 minutes to process the fact that I pressed it. I close every app I have open without any improvement. Activity monitor doesn't show anything unusual I don't think (windowsserver at 11% is the highest cpu utilization).

Apple menu -> restart (over and over) - nothing happens. I have to open the lid and hold the power button down to get this $3k computer to work again.

I haven't changed what I use the computer for for which is connecting to various work places via citrix, rdp, vmware horizon client, etc. The other apps I use are word, excel, onedrive, spotify, teams, native email program, notes, and slack.

The frustration is almost unbearable, reminds me of my days long ago using a windows pc. I never had these issues on my imac.

Any suggestions? TIA

Posted on Jun 15, 2022 10:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2022 11:53 AM

jgindenver wrote:
New macbook pro 16" M1 chip stops performing tasks in a reasonable timeframe (Monterey 12.2.1)

The current stable release of Monterey including bug fixes, is macOS 12.4 — I would start there.

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2022 11:53 AM in response to jgindenver

jgindenver wrote:
New macbook pro 16" M1 chip stops performing tasks in a reasonable timeframe (Monterey 12.2.1)

The current stable release of Monterey including bug fixes, is macOS 12.4 — I would start there.

Jun 22, 2022 10:29 AM in response to leroydouglas

I have 12.4 and I just had to hold the power button down to force it off and back on again.

Symptoms: My mouse was working but I couldn't click the apple icon. My keyboard would not acknowledge command option esc. The volume buttons on my keyboard would register after about 3 minutes. I couldn't load most webpages, I started a zoom meeting but it locked up, etc.

Programs I had open: spotify, word, citrix viewer, slack, chrome, safari, email, rdp, messages, teams.

I'm using an external Dell monitor (usb c) and external dell sound bar.

Any ideas?

New macbook pro 16" M1 chip stops performing tasks in a reasonable timeframe (Monterey 12.2.1) about once a week

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.