Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad pro

I would like to buy iPad ninth generation 2021. I already have a iPad Pro I've purchased in 2014. Can the iPad ninth generation 2021 replace my old iPad Pro I purchased in 2014 with a better technology?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on Jun 16, 2022 2:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2022 3:15 AM

iPad9 is an entry-level device - whereas your older iPad Pro was, of its time, the most powerful and feature-rich model available. As such, comparison is somewhat Apples to Oranges… 🙂

Making a direct comparison is perhaps difficult, as performance of the entry-level models are perhaps approaching the performance capabilities of much older but higher specification models. If considering an iPad9, the cheapest model in the current range, you’ll obviously not benefit from the much better displays of the current iPad Air and Pro models of iPad.

As for App compatibility and system software, all current models support iPadOS15 - and will similarly support iPadOS16 when released later this year. All available Apps should be usable with all current models.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2022 3:15 AM in response to grogers66

iPad9 is an entry-level device - whereas your older iPad Pro was, of its time, the most powerful and feature-rich model available. As such, comparison is somewhat Apples to Oranges… 🙂

Making a direct comparison is perhaps difficult, as performance of the entry-level models are perhaps approaching the performance capabilities of much older but higher specification models. If considering an iPad9, the cheapest model in the current range, you’ll obviously not benefit from the much better displays of the current iPad Air and Pro models of iPad.

As for App compatibility and system software, all current models support iPadOS15 - and will similarly support iPadOS16 when released later this year. All available Apps should be usable with all current models.

ipad pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.