You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

To many iCloud accounts error on a brand new MAC?

Hi, hoping someone can help me with next steps to solve a brand new (I hope) Mac issue I’ve just come across when going through the set up……just after keying in a new email address I want to use ( I want to set up a new family email on a new machine) its saying that its been used to set up to many iCloud accounts....does this mean it could be reconditioned and not a new Mac, after going through the support that is one of the explanations, any other suggestions? Thanks G

Posted on Jun 17, 2022 1:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2022 8:44 AM

I had the same reaction as ku4hx—someone fraudulently sold you a pre-owned computer as new. Those reports are very common in this time of shortages, production delays, and high demand.

You can enter the serial number here: Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

to see the warranty information. It won't show past owners but, if it shows no warranty coverage, you know the computer is not new. This is what the report for a covered Mac looks like. Not the expiration of coverage dates.

The date of coverage expiration, if shown as in the above example, can allow you to approximate the date of original purchase but not former owners.

The second example shows haw the reprt will indicate no coverage available; the warranty has expired and the device is over a year old:

There is too much fraud involving pre-owned Macs sold as new for me to buy from anyone but Apple. In some countreis tou cannot even trust the resellers.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 17, 2022 8:44 AM in response to Garypburke

I had the same reaction as ku4hx—someone fraudulently sold you a pre-owned computer as new. Those reports are very common in this time of shortages, production delays, and high demand.

You can enter the serial number here: Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

to see the warranty information. It won't show past owners but, if it shows no warranty coverage, you know the computer is not new. This is what the report for a covered Mac looks like. Not the expiration of coverage dates.

The date of coverage expiration, if shown as in the above example, can allow you to approximate the date of original purchase but not former owners.

The second example shows haw the reprt will indicate no coverage available; the warranty has expired and the device is over a year old:

There is too much fraud involving pre-owned Macs sold as new for me to buy from anyone but Apple. In some countreis tou cannot even trust the resellers.

Jun 17, 2022 2:50 PM in response to Garypburke

My wife's first MBP, a 2020 intel model, showed up broken right out of the box. We immediately, that day, took it to the local Apple store and they exchanged it immediately.

I say that to say this, Apple does every now and then send out a defective product ... we got one.

I suggest you take it back to Apple with Apple receipt/proof of purchase in hand and demand, nicely of course, they make it right.

To many iCloud accounts error on a brand new MAC?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.