Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to figure out Numbers

I've been handed this MacBook Air to try and organise some data for a relative's business but I've been an Excel user for decades. I'm making progress but it's hard. Is there a way to step through a formula like nested ifs to find the syntax error, and how to I change data format in the cells? I can go into the Format pane and select what I want but as soon as I move to another cell it reverts back to automatic. This is confusing me in a formula where a digit might be read as text or number. Where is Microsoft's Format Painter?

MacBook Air

Posted on Jun 17, 2022 2:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2022 7:11 AM

You can purchase Excel/Office for Mac. They sell a home and student version of Office if you don't like the subscription model.

There is no stepping through nested IFs to find a syntax error. Nested IFs get messy quickly. You might try using the IFS function instead.

If you try to format a cell that has data in it that does not match that format, the format will not "take". If you type data into a formatted cell and that data does not match the format, the cell will revert the format to Automatic, possibly with some settings (such as currency settings if you typed a currency symbol and some digits). Excel will change formats, too, in many cases.

Numbers align by default to the right. Text, including text "numbers", aligns by default to the left. That is usually the first clue if a number is an actual number or is text. If the format is Automatic and the cell has a number in it, the format should also have settings for decimal places. If it does not, then the "number" is not a number. This happens sometimes with people in regions that use the comma as a decimal. If they use a decimal point, it will not be a number.

I do not know what Format Painter is but Numbers has Copy Style and Paste Style which sound like maybe the same thing. They are in the Format menu, are accessible with keyboard shortcuts, and you can add their icons to the toolbar. They copy/paste all styles applied to a cell, including the borders. It is all or none.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2022 7:11 AM in response to Bowline5

You can purchase Excel/Office for Mac. They sell a home and student version of Office if you don't like the subscription model.

There is no stepping through nested IFs to find a syntax error. Nested IFs get messy quickly. You might try using the IFS function instead.

If you try to format a cell that has data in it that does not match that format, the format will not "take". If you type data into a formatted cell and that data does not match the format, the cell will revert the format to Automatic, possibly with some settings (such as currency settings if you typed a currency symbol and some digits). Excel will change formats, too, in many cases.

Numbers align by default to the right. Text, including text "numbers", aligns by default to the left. That is usually the first clue if a number is an actual number or is text. If the format is Automatic and the cell has a number in it, the format should also have settings for decimal places. If it does not, then the "number" is not a number. This happens sometimes with people in regions that use the comma as a decimal. If they use a decimal point, it will not be a number.

I do not know what Format Painter is but Numbers has Copy Style and Paste Style which sound like maybe the same thing. They are in the Format menu, are accessible with keyboard shortcuts, and you can add their icons to the toolbar. They copy/paste all styles applied to a cell, including the borders. It is all or none.

Jun 17, 2022 9:36 AM in response to Bowline5

Bowline5 wrote:

I can go into the Format pane and select what I want but as soon as I move to another cell it reverts back to automatic.

Is the "it" a formula? If so may be affected by the cells or ranges to which it refers, which might explain why it flips back to automatic. If you post specifics we might be able to explain.

Second Badunit's suggestion of having a look at Excel for the Mac. It's a good app, and may be easier for you if you have used Excel for years. You can get it right on the Mac App Store.

SG

Trying to figure out Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.