Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Sum error in numbers

Hi, on a very simple spreadsheet in numbers, it is adding up my values incorrectly on my macbook pro. I have checked the format in the column they are all "numbers" not texts. so not sure why it comes up with exactly 12 more than it should be. The value should come to 580, not 592.

(I am also running the exact spreadsheet in parallel in google sheets, and google sheets adds up the sum correctly, that's how I know how much it should be)

could I send you the sheet to work out what is wrong? - Thanks

Posted on Jun 28, 2023 5:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2023 7:59 AM

DOHH ! I found what the problem was, there was a hidden row, which shouldnt have been there, Row 8! I clicked on unhide all rows, and that row had a value of 12! I thought it was too peculiar that this spreadsheet was exactly 12 more than the other one!

Thanks for your help anyway!

3 replies

Jun 28, 2023 6:09 AM in response to Nikoltai85

Hello Nikoltai85,

Could you please click on the 592 so I can see what formula you're using.

When adding the SUM() of an entire row, I'd suggest just using Footer Rows.

Add a footer row below the table (This row will always remain at the bottom no matter how many rows you add). Then all you have to do is type =SUM() and then within the parenthesis just click on the entire column, by clicking the C

Sum error in numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.