Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up new phone

Am I supposed to put my old Sim card into my old phone

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Jun 17, 2022 4:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2022 6:27 AM

Your old phone and your new phone need to be in the same room, plugged in or at least with full batteries, and connected to the same WiFi network. I usually move the SIM to the new phone first to confirm that the new phone is compatible with the old SIM.

Fire up the new phone and follow the prompts to get it connected to WiFi. Once you do that, you should get a prompt asking you if you want to set it up by transferring everything from an existing phone. Choose that option and you should see a moire pattern appear and every other Apple device on your network should light up with a pop-up asking if this is the device to copy from. Click yes on your old phone and point its camera at the new phone's pulsating green blob. Both phones will switch to a message saying that the process will take some time and to leave the two phones near each other for the duration. After a reboot or two on the new phone, the old phone will tell you to complete the process on the new phone. Follow the prompts to set a Lock Code, input your Apple ID password when prompted, set up your first face or fingerprint as prompted, etc., until you get to the Home screen. The new phone now knows what apps it should have and will go out to the App Store to download and install the versions compatible with the new phone.

Test out everything on the new phone because some apps may require a formal transfer of content from the old phone to the new phone.

Good luck.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2022 6:27 AM in response to Bec1012

Your old phone and your new phone need to be in the same room, plugged in or at least with full batteries, and connected to the same WiFi network. I usually move the SIM to the new phone first to confirm that the new phone is compatible with the old SIM.

Fire up the new phone and follow the prompts to get it connected to WiFi. Once you do that, you should get a prompt asking you if you want to set it up by transferring everything from an existing phone. Choose that option and you should see a moire pattern appear and every other Apple device on your network should light up with a pop-up asking if this is the device to copy from. Click yes on your old phone and point its camera at the new phone's pulsating green blob. Both phones will switch to a message saying that the process will take some time and to leave the two phones near each other for the duration. After a reboot or two on the new phone, the old phone will tell you to complete the process on the new phone. Follow the prompts to set a Lock Code, input your Apple ID password when prompted, set up your first face or fingerprint as prompted, etc., until you get to the Home screen. The new phone now knows what apps it should have and will go out to the App Store to download and install the versions compatible with the new phone.

Test out everything on the new phone because some apps may require a formal transfer of content from the old phone to the new phone.

Good luck.

Setting up new phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.