Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Linking to Safari from Calendar, Mail, Messages, Notes, etc suddenly broken

Within the last day or two, attempting to click on a URL in applications such as Calendar, Mail, Messages, and Notes fails to open the corresponding page in Safari. If I copy the URL, open a new tab in Safari, and then paste the URL into that new tab, it does work. In some cases, the click simply shifts the focus to Safari and does nothing else. In other cases, I get an error message from Catalina. Examples include:

"The application "Safari" is not open anymore."

"The application "%@" is not open anymore."

In both of those cases, Safari was open and running at the time.

All of this worked perfectly for several years, until a day or two ago.

Last, I just tried this on an identically configured "sister" iMac to the one I normally use, and clicking on URLs works perfectly. So, I suspect some sort of Catalina or Safari setting got corrupted.

TIA for any ideas,

Mark

macOs 10.15.7

Safari 15.5

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 17, 2022 7:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2022 8:47 PM

Evidently, the problem was transient, as it has now disappeared, and I am able to click on URLs in other apps and have the corresponding pages open in Safari. I took no troubleshooting action in the meantime. The problem disappeared "on its own."

Similar questions

3 replies

Jun 19, 2022 7:45 AM in response to Mark92630

Hey Mark92630,

Since Safari isn't working as it should, we suggest following the steps here: If Safari on Mac isn't opening a web page or working as expected.

If issue persists test in safe mode: How to use safe mode on your Mac. Safe mode helps determine whether the issue is related to software that loads when the Mac boots up. After testing in safe mode, restart normally and see if the issue is resolved.

Take care.

Linking to Safari from Calendar, Mail, Messages, Notes, etc suddenly broken

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.