Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail icon in dock no longer shows unread mail count UNLESS the app is open (Monterey)...

Hi.

I migrated to a new M1 based MacBook Air running Monterey from a 2012 MBP recently. One of the annoying little traits is now the Apple Mail icon in dock no longer shows unread mail count UNLESS the app is open. I have the "Badge app icon" selected in Preferences > Notifications & Focus > Mail checked, but unless the app itself is open, the familiar red dot with the unread count is no longer showing. I have relied on this feature up until now to remind myself there are unread mails to be dealt with. Is this an issue, or a new feature? If there is a way of getting the count in the icon to stay regardless of whether the app is open or not, please advise...

All the best..

Richie.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 18, 2022 8:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2022 9:09 AM

realtrailertrash wrote:

Hi.

I migrated to a new M1 based MacBook Air running Monterey from a 2012 MBP recently.

One of the annoying little traits is now the Apple Mail icon in dock no longer shows unread mail count UNLESS the app is open.

I have the "Badge app icon" selected in Preferences > Notifications & Focus > Mail checked, but unless the app itself is open, the familiar red dot with the unread count is no longer showing. I have relied on this feature up until now to remind myself there are unread mails to be dealt with. Is this an issue, or a new feature? If there is a way of getting the count in the icon to stay regardless of whether the app is open or not, please advise...

All the best..

Richie.

Reboot

Verify Mail>Preferences>General> Check for New Messages>Automatically

You can always put Mail in Full Screen and leave it open...

Disable all Mail p[lug-ins, and extensions and test.

Try SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

Mail User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2022 9:09 AM in response to realtrailertrash

realtrailertrash wrote:

Hi.

I migrated to a new M1 based MacBook Air running Monterey from a 2012 MBP recently.

One of the annoying little traits is now the Apple Mail icon in dock no longer shows unread mail count UNLESS the app is open.

I have the "Badge app icon" selected in Preferences > Notifications & Focus > Mail checked, but unless the app itself is open, the familiar red dot with the unread count is no longer showing. I have relied on this feature up until now to remind myself there are unread mails to be dealt with. Is this an issue, or a new feature? If there is a way of getting the count in the icon to stay regardless of whether the app is open or not, please advise...

All the best..

Richie.

Reboot

Verify Mail>Preferences>General> Check for New Messages>Automatically

You can always put Mail in Full Screen and leave it open...

Disable all Mail p[lug-ins, and extensions and test.

Try SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

Mail User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Apple Mail icon in dock no longer shows unread mail count UNLESS the app is open (Monterey)...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.