Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac asks for password after power failure even no password has been assigned

Why does iMac ask for password after restart after power failure when computer has been set up with no password required?

Posted on Jun 18, 2022 5:53 PM

10 replies

Jun 19, 2022 4:29 AM in response to hcsitas

You can choose not to have a login password under Privacy & Security/ General. While setting up a new iMac for a friend (who has never had a Mac) I didn’t want to have to keep putting in a password every time the computer went to sleep so I selected no password. When powering back up after the power failed during a storm, it asked for a password. When I enter blank for the password it doesn’t accept it. After about a half hour it did accept no password. I don’t know why.

Jun 19, 2022 9:00 AM in response to hcsitas

It wasn’t a wake from sleep or stall and there wasn’t any wait time.

It shut down because of a power failure. When the power was back on, the computer was powered up and immediately asked for a password even though it is configured with no password.

To check if it was just a freak one time thing, I unplugged it from the wall to simulate a power failure. When I plugged it back in and powered it up the same thing happened - it expected a password and would not accept a blank entry. After hitting enter with a blank password space every few minutes for about a half half hour it finally accepted a blank password.

It’s not a big problem but seems strange and unexpected behavior with no logical explanation which is always a bit worrisome.

iMac asks for password after power failure even no password has been assigned

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.