Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Crazy render / flashing / clip substitution problem with masked compound clips

I have used FCPX for years. In my last project the rendering has gone…bonkers.

I am running FInal Cut Pro X 10.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max with 32GB of Ram.

Basically I have multiple clips on screen with a variety of masks combining them (max 5). It seems to be fine when editing on screen, but after rendering or exporting it goes…well.. Crazy. Different clips flash over top of each other, some of the masks drill down to the base layer video (through a generator!). The footage is unusable. I had a similar, but much less acute problem about 3 months ago on a project but simply deleting the generated media "fixed" the issue. Now nothing seems to fix it! I have tried

• deleting the generated media and re-transcoding
  • Duplicating the project
  • Creating a New project and copying the contents of the project
  • Moving the project to a different drive
  • Replacing the video with itself
  • Several combinations of the above multiple times over.

This is driving me bonkers. This is my first real Final Cut Fail since FCP 7!

I have several layers of compound clips which may be confusing FInal Cut Pro X.

Any suggestions for help are very welcome. Also any suggestions on how to avoid it in the future are similarly welcome.

There are about 700 edit points so recreating it at this point is a challenge. I have a deadline for Tuesday, so … 😭

Posted on Jun 18, 2022 10:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2022 3:01 AM

I finally have no idea what has happened with your project.

But could you try to export a XML, close your current library and create a new one and then import the XML.

Unfortunately XMLs won’t transport Drop-Zones, some values from complex titles and correct RGB values from Motion based plugins, but it still might be worth to give it a try.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2022 3:01 AM in response to Lebbek

I finally have no idea what has happened with your project.

But could you try to export a XML, close your current library and create a new one and then import the XML.

Unfortunately XMLs won’t transport Drop-Zones, some values from complex titles and correct RGB values from Motion based plugins, but it still might be worth to give it a try.

Crazy render / flashing / clip substitution problem with masked compound clips

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.