Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M2 and intel apps

Is the new M2 MacBook Air able to run Rosetta2?

I am analyzing the possibility of purchasing a new 14" MPA to replace my old MBP15", but need to run QXP and ePageCreator, both still Intel only apps.

They run on M1 under Rosetta2.

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Jun 19, 2022 10:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2022 10:38 AM

pagrestb wrote:

I am analyzing the possibility of purchasing a new 14" MPA to replace my old MBP15", but need to run QXP and ePageCreator, both still Intel only apps.

Thanks in advance.

This is not an issue.

Rosetta 2 enables a Mac with Apple silicon to use apps built for a Mac with an Intel processor.

If you need to install Rosetta on your Mac - Apple Support

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2022 10:38 AM in response to pagrestb

pagrestb wrote:

Thanks in advance.

This is not an issue.

Rosetta 2 enables a Mac with Apple silicon to use apps built for a Mac with an Intel processor.

If you need to install Rosetta on your Mac - Apple Support

Jun 19, 2022 10:41 AM in response to pagrestb

Going out on a limb - YES!

• The CPU instruction set is unchanged from the M1
  • The operating system is unchanged from the M1 (both run Monterey 12)
  • It would be stupid at this early date in the transition from intel to Apple Silicon to disable Rosetta2
  • Apple just announced at the WWDC that Rossetta2 would be available inside virtual machines. This implies Rosetta2 may be available even longer than Rosetta1
  • Apple continued the use the previous Rosetta1 (PowerPC to intel) for years before they stopping including it in operating system releases. From Tiger 10.4.3 through Snow Leopard 10.6 and stopped being available in Lion 10.7. That is 3 major Mac OS X operating systems.

M2 and intel apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.