Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copyright using garage band loops

My son made a song using loops on garage band a few years ago.

I have just received 2 emails

from Instagram deleting the video saying the music used is copyright. Naming a song and artist who has used a similar loop / mix.

I have appealed as my understanding is garage band is royalty free and my son’s audio should not be blocked as copyright?

Can someone please clarify, links to all 3 songs below Thanks

Song 1 (uploaded 2022)

https://open.spotify.com/track/5hwUPX3vcD2a57VDsEMrSr?si=vQBa44k3TemsliulMnX84g&context=spotify%3Asearch%3Ashunmars%2Borange

Song 2 (uploaded 2022)

https://open.spotify.com/track/03HioqkcDXd3WP44Cw4o7w?si=CIiWPkCmQV-BxaYnMi9cVA

My Son’s song (uploaded 2019)

https://www.abc.net.au/triplejunearthed/artist/worrya/ Song name - Beach Vibes

Posted on Jun 20, 2022 1:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2022 3:04 AM

Apple has a statement in a support document dated 18/01/2017. All the text below is from that page:

Using royalty-free loops in GarageBand with commercial work - Apple Support

Learn about the usage of royalty-free loops in GarageBand on commercial songs, multimedia presentations, videos, and animations.

The GarageBand software license agreement says:

"GarageBand Software. You may use the Apple and third party audio loop content (Audio Content), contained in or otherwise included with the Apple Software, on a royalty-free basis, to create your own original music compositions or audio projects. You may broadcast and/or distribute your own music compositions or audio projects that were created using the Audio Content, however, individual audio loops may not be commercially or otherwise distributed on a standalone basis, nor may they be repackaged in whole or in part as audio samples, sound effects or music beds."

So don't worry, you can make commercial music with GarageBand, you just can't distribute the loops as loops.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2022 3:04 AM in response to nardia16

Apple has a statement in a support document dated 18/01/2017. All the text below is from that page:

Using royalty-free loops in GarageBand with commercial work - Apple Support

Learn about the usage of royalty-free loops in GarageBand on commercial songs, multimedia presentations, videos, and animations.

The GarageBand software license agreement says:

"GarageBand Software. You may use the Apple and third party audio loop content (Audio Content), contained in or otherwise included with the Apple Software, on a royalty-free basis, to create your own original music compositions or audio projects. You may broadcast and/or distribute your own music compositions or audio projects that were created using the Audio Content, however, individual audio loops may not be commercially or otherwise distributed on a standalone basis, nor may they be repackaged in whole or in part as audio samples, sound effects or music beds."

So don't worry, you can make commercial music with GarageBand, you just can't distribute the loops as loops.

Jun 20, 2022 3:23 AM in response to David McKinlay

Thanks so much David, I had read that but was confused as my son’s song sounds very similar to the other 2 songs which the artists have seemed to copyright.

And because of this I am getting messages to remove his audio due to copyright.

Just wondered what I can do about it? The 3 songs all sound very similar, so I don’t know why his is being blocked.

Copyright using garage band loops

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.