Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Feeding Exchange Rate into Numbers

It looks like there was some stuff on this in 2016 which was helpful but it relied on the Apple Script Editor which I can't seem to find - can anyone give me an update on how to insert an updating exchange rate into numbers?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 20, 2022 2:41 AM

3 replies

Jun 20, 2022 3:39 AM in response to Droll_Pineapple

As a start you could use CURRENCY, that should cover most needs.

If you need more it would be helpful if you give details on what you want / need.

The CURRENCY function returns data from the previous market day’s close about the exchange rate between two currencies, retrieved remotely via the Internet.

CURRENCY(currency-1, currency-2, price)

currency-1: The currency code for the currency from which you’re converting. currency‑1 is a string enclosed in quotes.

currency-2: The currency code for the currency to which you’re converting. currency‑2 is a string enclosed in quotes.

price: An optional modal value specifying the exchange rate attribute to be returned.

"price" (0 or omitted): The exchange rate of currency‑1 to currency‑2 at the previous business day’s market close, expressed as an amount in currency‑2.

"name" (1): The currency codes of the specified currencies, shown in the formula for calculating the exchange rate.

"change" (2): The difference in the exchange rate at the close of trading on the two most recent business days.

"percent change" (3): The percent of change in the exchange rate between the market close on the previous business day and the market close on the business day prior to that.

"open" (4): The exchange rate at the opening of trading on the previous business day.

"high" (5): The highest exchange rate on the previous business day.

"low" (6): The lowest exchange rate on the previous business day.

"52-week high" (7): The highest exchange rate in the last 52 weeks.

"52-week low" (8): The lowest exchange rate in the last 52 weeks.

"ask price" (9): The price in currency-2that sellers are asking for currency-1. Note: Ask price data is currently unavailable.

"bid price" (10): The price in currency-2that buyers are willing to pay for currency-1. Note: Bid price data is currently unavailable.

Notes

• Currency codes are defined by ISO 4217, a standard published by the International Organization for Standardization. You can find the ISO currency codes on the web.
  • If you enter a formula that includes the CURRENCY function when the internet is unavailable, CURRENCY returns no value. However, when the internet becomes available, the formula updates with a value returned by CURRENCY.
  • To return precious metal futures, use STOCK.

Examples

=CURRENCY("USD", "GBP", "price") returns the value of a United States dollar in Pounds sterling—the exchange rate between the two currencies, expressed in Pounds sterling, at market close on the previous business day.

=CURRENCY("EUR", "DKK", 2) returns the change ("change" or 2) in the exchange rate from the European euro to the Danish krone between the market close of the previous business day and the market close of the business day prior to that.

=CURRENCY("eur", "chf", "52-week high") returns the highest rate of exchange from the European euro to the Swiss franc in the past 52 weeks.

Raf

Jun 20, 2022 4:24 AM in response to Ralf-F

Thanks Ralf - in the end it worked better to change the whole spreadsheet to the currency that I needed the conversion in. I just could not get the CURRENCY to work as there were a variable input for currencies being converted. So my workaround involved using CURRENCYCONVERT function - but does mean that I need to have each variable currency formatted to its entry in the value cell.

Feeding Exchange Rate into Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.