Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the Currency function automatically update itself each day?

Does the Currency function automatically update itself each day, or each time you open the spreadsheet?Or is it taking a snapshot of the exchange rate at the moment you enter the function? I'm hoping it's the former.

If not, perhaps I could use the CurrencyH function and insert TODAY() to get today's rate.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 1:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 2:32 PM

CURRENCYH only works with past dates. From the help:

date: The date for which you want the historical exchange rate information. date can be a valid past date string enclosed in quotes (for example “01/11/2014” or “31 Dec 2015”), a formula that returns a past date, or a reference to a cell containing a valid past date or date formula.

Again from the Function help:

The CURRENCY function returns data from the previous market day’s close about the exchange rate between two currencies, retrieved remotely via the Internet.

My understanding is that it will update every day, when you re-open the spreadsheet. That's certainly the case with the STOCK function.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2021 2:32 PM in response to Yo_Be_Low

CURRENCYH only works with past dates. From the help:

date: The date for which you want the historical exchange rate information. date can be a valid past date string enclosed in quotes (for example “01/11/2014” or “31 Dec 2015”), a formula that returns a past date, or a reference to a cell containing a valid past date or date formula.

Again from the Function help:

The CURRENCY function returns data from the previous market day’s close about the exchange rate between two currencies, retrieved remotely via the Internet.

My understanding is that it will update every day, when you re-open the spreadsheet. That's certainly the case with the STOCK function.

Does the Currency function automatically update itself each day?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.