Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight not finding applications

I recently had to erase my MacBook Air and reinstall everything (in order to take care of some pesky hard drive errors that could not be repaired without doing so). Since my reinstall, my laptop has been working as good as or better than before, with the exception of Spotlight, which can't seem to locate Applications that are installed on my machine.

I use Command+Space to launch virtually any application I use that's not in the dock. This has been an indispensable shortcut, one I make sure to tell all my friends who are new to Macs. Now, however, if I type in "Excel" or any shorter variation, my installed Microsoft Excel app can't be located by Spotlight and my top hit for that search is "Microsoft Excel" in the app store.

Thanks for anyone who can help me out. And yes, for the record I have reindexed spotlight and have rebooted my computer and yes "Applications" is checked in Spotlight options of System Preferences and it is the top entry. (This isn't user error.) And yes I'm aware Spotlight isn't intended to be an application launcher but that doesn't make my problem go away or change the fact that this bug exists.

Thanks all for your help.

Posted on Jun 20, 2022 6:55 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Jun 21, 2022 5:29 AM in response to Gattman621

Hi Gattman, thanks for the suggestion. I had already rebuilt the index to spotlight and that had no effect on my issue. (Curiously, the method for rebuilding the spotlight index that you linked to above did not work for me at all. No reindexing took place. Could only achieve that through a third party app called CleanMyMac X). However, after rebuilding the index a couple more times, it finally did start to work, but not right away, some apps seemed "immune" to the rebuilt index, others were still in the wrong order (app way down the list and app store app as the first entry) but over time those issues seem to be going away. I guess rebuilding the index takes longer than I realized. Thanks for your help.

Spotlight not finding applications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.