Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

spotlight will not search ANY folders- all searches not on the whole drive come up blank. Whole drive searches are useless. How to fix this?

New Macbook pro running Ventura 13.5.1

I can't get spotlight to function except via whole HD searches- not folders (any), not mail. Bookmark searches in Safari also don't work. this is handicapping me at my job and I need a fix. I have double-checked Spotlight privacy settings-- nothing is private (or ever was). I have tried using terminal to re-index, using "sudo mdutil -E /" and then entering my password-- It didn't re-index, just gave the immediate response "indexing enabled."

Please help.

Posted on Sep 17, 2023 12:51 PM

3 replies

Sep 17, 2023 1:43 PM in response to Clare in Chi

On my Desktop, I have a folder named PDF and within that folder I have a file named bar.zsh. The following Spotlight (case-insensitive) search finds that bar.zsh (kind is "Zsh script") under category Developer in the list of results:

(kind:folder AND name:pdf) OR (kind:zsh AND name:bar)

This is proof that Spotlight indexes all folder hierarchies and that I can find a single file in a designated folder with the correctly refined Spotlight keyword syntax. Apple has an article on narrowing one's Spotlight search results.

spotlight will not search ANY folders- all searches not on the whole drive come up blank. Whole drive searches are useless. How to fix this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.