Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updates on older Apple watch series.

My Series 3 watch absolutely refuses to install any updates. Is there anything I can do?

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 8

Posted on Jun 20, 2022 8:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2022 3:16 PM

See especially “If you need help updating” here.

Update your Apple Watch - Apple Support

5 replies

Jun 20, 2022 2:02 PM in response to mary ann from merritt island

WatchOS 7 and later offers very limited support for the Apple Watch Series 3.

The current WatchOS version is 8.6.

Of course, we don’t know what WatchOS version you have, what iPhone model or iOS version you have, what you have tried, in what environment (e.g., on Wi-Fi, on a charger), what worked, what failed, what error messages, etc.

Jun 20, 2022 2:55 PM in response to sberman

Perhaps I shouldn’t be concerned about getting an update then if there is limited change for the series 3, especially if it doesn’t affect the general operation of the watch?

Watch version: 8.5.1 (19T252)

iPhone SE, ios version 15.5

Update, tried with watch on charger (above 50%), on Wi-Fi, phone next to watch charger and phone over 50% charged. After about 10 minutes of downloading, popup says: “Software Update Failed. An error occurred downloading.” This has been the same scenario on multiple days before I came to the Community. Thanks for responding. I use it mainly for a sleep program and activity, so not dependent on something critical such as heart monitoring

Updates on older Apple watch series.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.