Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Songs Are Grayed Out ... Again

For 15 years I've been dealing with intermittent issues where random songs are grayed out on my iphone though play fine on my itunes on my computer. Typically synching 3 more times, doing an iphone update, and/or saying a few prayers seems to sort things out after about 6 weeks. Then a month later, a different set of songs are grayed out.

The latest example is similar to others. I have an album (Forever Now by The Psychedelic Furs) that I've purchased, all songs are stored on my local PC, all songs play just fine from my local PC. For some reason, my phone thinks 8 of them can't be played in my region (the USA). In this case I've synched twice, turned off my iphone, I'm on the latest version of iTunes and IOS on my phone (15.5), my phone is new (iphone 13) ... but there are about 40 songs in total that suddenly can't be played on my phone.

Looking through the guidance from Apple,

1. artists release songs in advance: No, this is a 40 year old album
  2. Artists might remove music from Apple music: These songs are not from Apple music, they were purchased
  3. The song might not be available in your country: I've been playing them for many years, and I doubt some songs off of an album would suddenly be unavailable while others remain
  4. Explicit song may be grayed out: the songs in question aren't explicit and I don't have restrictions turned on.

As noted above, this has been an issue as long as I've had an iPhone. Could you please resolve this defect, and or provide another explanation / fix for your customers who suffer through this? I understand you're trying to manage digital rights but your code has some flaws that arbitrarily prevents iphone owners from listening to music they've purchased.

Here's a snippet:

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Jun 20, 2022 11:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2022 11:27 AM

The song might not be available in your country or region and will appear in gray text when you search for it in Apple Music. If an explicit song is grayed out, you might have restrictions turned on for your device.

If your songs are grayed out - Apple Support

2 replies

Jun 20, 2022 11:43 AM in response to jcwtx

After synching again for the 3rd time, these songs are now available. It's good news, but this is still a very frustrating issue especially considering people are usually away from their computers when this bug strikes, and it's impossible to play the grayed out songs until there's enough time to go synch the phone a few times.

Songs Are Grayed Out ... Again

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.