Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Shuffle - The iPod "iPod" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1439).

I am running iTunes 12.12.2.2 on Windows 11 Pro 22H2.

My iPod Shuffle has not been used in a while (it was allowed to charge overnight) and when connected to the PC the following occurs:

1. The indicator light on the iPod turns green for a second, then red,
  2. Windows reports: "There's a problem with this drive. Scan the drive now and fix it."
  3. iTunes reports: "iTunes has detected an iPod in recovery mode. You must restore this iPod before it can be used with iTunes."

When prompted by Windows to scan and fix..., Repair drive, Windows reports: "Windows successfully scanned the drive. No errors were found" and a File Explorer window opens.

When restoring the iPod in iTunes, iTunes reports: The iPod "iPod" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1439).

Repeated iterations of the Windows 'scan and fix' and the iTunes 'restore' do not correct the issue.

The device is still not recognized by iTunes.

I would be grateful for any assistance, guidance, referrals to previous posts on the subject.

Thank you.

iPod shuffle (4th Gen)

Posted on Jun 20, 2022 5:45 PM

3 replies

Jun 21, 2022 12:21 PM in response to MalcolmWP

Hi MalcolmWP,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're having an issue with restoring your iPod shuffle. We'd like to help.

Do you have access to another computer or another cable to see if that changes the behavior? Try that and then follow these steps to see if you can get through this process:

If you see an error when you update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

Let us know how that goes.

iPod Shuffle - The iPod "iPod" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1439).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.