Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Titles on photos not showing on iPhone or when shared with others via Shared Albums

I take considerable time to edit and add titles to my photos on Photo on my iMac. After all that work I would expect that the titles would show up on my iPhone and for people I share them with via Shared Albums. While other metadata is present, the titles are not. This is very strange and does not make any sense. Is there some way I can address this?

Posted on Jun 20, 2022 8:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2022 2:10 AM

It is worth it to send feedback to Apple, because they are putting a lot work into the sharing options for Photos right now for the next system version macOS 13 Ventura. We will finally be able to share a complete Photos Library between family members.

And iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 have already brought the ability to add descriptions to a photo and to see the description of the photo on the mobile devices, something we have waited for since Photos iOS came out in 2014.

For the time being, consider to export the photos with the titles embedded to a folder on iCloud Drive, then share the link to this folder. Then you can send the photos in the full resolution and quality. Shared albums are just meant for viewing the photos, not for transferring them. The shared photos are having a smaller size, at most 2048 pixel at the longest edge.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2022 2:10 AM in response to PaddyJV

It is worth it to send feedback to Apple, because they are putting a lot work into the sharing options for Photos right now for the next system version macOS 13 Ventura. We will finally be able to share a complete Photos Library between family members.

And iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 have already brought the ability to add descriptions to a photo and to see the description of the photo on the mobile devices, something we have waited for since Photos iOS came out in 2014.

For the time being, consider to export the photos with the titles embedded to a folder on iCloud Drive, then share the link to this folder. Then you can send the photos in the full resolution and quality. Shared albums are just meant for viewing the photos, not for transferring them. The shared photos are having a smaller size, at most 2048 pixel at the longest edge.

Jun 20, 2022 11:48 PM in response to PaddyJV

It has been this way since the shared albums have been introduced. Phots is stripping metadata before sharing the photos, so we do not give away more information than we intended to share. We are lucky, that at least the capture dates and locations are no longer removed since macOS 12 Monterey, when we share photos. When you add captions to the photos, not titles, and add the photos to the shared album one at time, the caption will automatically be added as a comment.

There is the added complication, that Photos iOS on my iPhone and iPad cannot show titles at all, only the captions, while the Mac is showing the titles below the thumbnails, but not the captions. So I enter the text twice, as a title for the thumbnails on the Mac, and as a caption for the subtitles on the iPhone and iPad.

Jun 21, 2022 12:12 AM in response to léonie

Well thanks for that advice Leonie. That means a lot more work for me to do both captions and titles. Surely, it would have been more sensible for Apple to enable us to make a selection of what we want to share or not, instead of removing an important feature. Title searches are how I sort and find things quickly. And, if I decide to share photos with others, then I have already made that decision, and they should be able to see what the titles of the photos are.

Is there any meaningful place I can go to recommend to Apple that they include this feature?

Titles on photos not showing on iPhone or when shared with others via Shared Albums

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.