You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use icloud custom email domain with Outlook for Windows

I've added my personal domain to my icloud email using the instructions at Use Custom Email Domain with iCloud Mail - Apple Support. On my IOS devices its all working as expected and I can send email from either my icloud or my personal domain. However, I can't work out how to set this up in Microsoft Outlook on my main PC. I previously had two accounts setup in Outlook (one for my personal domain, one for my icloud email), but now that my personal email domain is linked to iCloud, how do I configure Outlook using IMAP to be able to send email from my personal domain?

I'm not talking about O365 here. I'm simply talking about setting up Outlook using IMAP on my PC to be able to send email from either my icloud email address or my custom domain email address. on my Mac Mail app I simply select the email address I want to send from as it recognises that I have a custom domain attached to my icloud account. How do I do this with other IMAP mail systems other than Apple Mail?? Setting the 'reply-to address' as my custom domain email address makes no difference.

Put simply, I need to be able to send email from my custom domain from my windows machine using Outlook IMAP. Thanks.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Jun 21, 2022 2:21 PM

6 replies

Jul 4, 2022 7:08 AM in response to ShannonM1

Sorry Shannon, but have you actually read the problem description? Your response has no relevance to the issue I've been careful to outline. This is NOT a Microsoft problem. Its a problem for Apple to explain HOW to use a custom domain enabled iCloud account with anything else other than Apple Mail

In any other email system that supports multiple email addresses per domain (which is essentially what Apple custom domains is doing), you typically have user credentials for each email address, thereby allowing you to create a separate IMAP account in your chosen email software providers system (in my case, thats Outlook) for each email address you wish to send from. This you cannot do with Apple's custom domains, therefore there is no way to send email from the one iCloud account using a connected domain UNLESS you are using Apple's own email software. You can use the 'send as' feature in Outlook and other mail software, but that always means a) remembering to use it and b) your receiver will get an email from 'yourname@icloud.com sent on behalf of yourothername@connecteddomain.com'

Jul 4, 2022 6:51 AM in response to Storrm68

Understood Storrm68,

Per Personalize iCloud Mail with a custom email domain and share with family - Apple Support:

Because your custom email domain uses iCloud Mail, it works in the same way. When you configure or create a new address, you can automatically send and receive email from that address in Mail anywhere you have iCloud Mail turned on, including your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac. You can also access your mail in Outlook on a Windows computer and in a web browser at iCloud.com.

So we would recommend following up with Microsoft to review the use of custom domains and aliases with Outlook.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities!

Jun 22, 2022 2:34 PM in response to Drew_7

Thanks for responding, but that article doesn’t contain any information on configuring third party IMAP mail apps such as Outlook for Windows to work with Apples implementation of custom domains and multiple email address support. Digging through some of the links, there is talk of using Outlook for the primary email address e.g. myname@icloud.com, but no information on how to send emails using a custom domain e.g. myname@otherdomain.com from Outlook.

What I was expecting was being able to setup an additional account within Outlook to use myname@otherdomain.com with the iCloud imap servers and an app specific password. This would let me send email from either domains linked to my custom domain. Alternatively, I can use the ‘send as’ capability in Outlook, but that results in the receiver receiving an email from ‘myname@icloud.com sent on behalf of myname@otherdomain.com’

Jul 4, 2022 4:46 AM in response to jeffd55

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in responding. Been dealing with a covid infection :-( Yes, I have referred to Microsofts support pages which clearly show you how to add new accounts to Outlook. All you need is the username, password and imap/smtp server details and off you go. However, its not that straightforward when using Apple's implementation of custom domains, because you don't get credentials per custom domain or email address. You only have your main icloud account details which means when you add it to Outlook, it defaults to your icloud email address, so thats not the answer to the problem I'm afraid.

What would be required in order to use iCloud custom domains with any standard IMAP email client, is separate login credentials per custom domain.

Any other suggestions? This isnt a Microsoft or industry issue, its an Apple implementation issue that has been carefully thought through on Mac devices (and their software updated to work with it), but in any other environment, it doesnt appear to be possible to properly support multiple domains per iCloud account.

How to use icloud custom email domain with Outlook for Windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.