Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upload songs to Apple Music cloud library

Hello,

Im looking to add a lot of songs to my Apple Music, I noticed when I upload songs on to my MacBook it syncs these songs to my Apple Music cloud library to my iPad and iPhone which is perfect!

however doing this is filling up my MacBook 128gb storage fast! I have an external drive, is there a way to upload all my music without taking up actual space on my MacBook?

thanks! Any suggestions would be appreciated

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 21, 2022 4:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2022 7:38 AM

• Quit Music app
  • Copy your user's Music folder containing the library and the media files on your external drive
  • Launch Music app while holding down the Option (⌥) key
  • A window will appear asking you to create a new library or to choose an existing library. Select Choose library... and browse the new location on your external drive where you have copied the library and its media files
  • Music app should now operates with the library on your external drive without relying on your local drive
  • Check in Music's Preferences -> Files that the folder path is correctly updated as mentioned on this Apple's page: Change where your music files are stored on Mac - Apple Support

As a precaution, you can keep for a while the old library on your internal drive as a backup. When you'll be confident that everything works with your new library location you can delete the old one.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2022 7:38 AM in response to HungryMagpie

• Quit Music app
  • Copy your user's Music folder containing the library and the media files on your external drive
  • Launch Music app while holding down the Option (⌥) key
  • A window will appear asking you to create a new library or to choose an existing library. Select Choose library... and browse the new location on your external drive where you have copied the library and its media files
  • Music app should now operates with the library on your external drive without relying on your local drive
  • Check in Music's Preferences -> Files that the folder path is correctly updated as mentioned on this Apple's page: Change where your music files are stored on Mac - Apple Support

As a precaution, you can keep for a while the old library on your internal drive as a backup. When you'll be confident that everything works with your new library location you can delete the old one.

Upload songs to Apple Music cloud library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.