Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos Library will not load back into Pictures

I accidentally removed Photos Library from Pictures and have been unable to reinstall it in that location where it is connected to iCloud. I keep getting the message "The operation can’t be completed because an item with the name “Photos Library.photoslibrary” already exists." What do I need to do to correct this mistake?

iMac Pro

Posted on Jun 21, 2022 8:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2022 11:21 PM

Hi Doug,

Based on this message I would say that this file is still on your iMac.

Did you try to open it? Here how to open it even it is moved to a different folder.

Switch between photo libraries Create additional photo libraries in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

1. If the Photos app  on your Mac is open, choose Photos > Quit Photos.
  2. Hold down the Option key and double-click the Photos icon in the Applications folder (or click the Photos icon in the Dock) to open Photos.
  3. In the Choose Library dialog, do one of the following:
    • Click the library you want to use, then click Choose Library.
    • If the library you want doesn’t appear in the Choose Library dialog, click Other Library, navigate to the location of the library, select it, then click Choose Library.

You wrote "I accidentally removed Photos Library from Pictures ..."

Did you delete the file? If yes you could check if it is still in the trashcan and restore it from there.

Did you move it to a different folder? If yes have you tried to move it back to picture folder?

Ralf

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2022 11:21 PM in response to Doug Leunig

Hi Doug,

Based on this message I would say that this file is still on your iMac.

Did you try to open it? Here how to open it even it is moved to a different folder.

Switch between photo libraries Create additional photo libraries in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

1. If the Photos app  on your Mac is open, choose Photos > Quit Photos.
  2. Hold down the Option key and double-click the Photos icon in the Applications folder (or click the Photos icon in the Dock) to open Photos.
  3. In the Choose Library dialog, do one of the following:
    • Click the library you want to use, then click Choose Library.
    • If the library you want doesn’t appear in the Choose Library dialog, click Other Library, navigate to the location of the library, select it, then click Choose Library.

You wrote "I accidentally removed Photos Library from Pictures ..."

Did you delete the file? If yes you could check if it is still in the trashcan and restore it from there.

Did you move it to a different folder? If yes have you tried to move it back to picture folder?

Ralf

Photos Library will not load back into Pictures

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.