Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not use three Thunderbolt connections at the same time on MacBrook Pro

Hello all, I am having issues with my new Mac Pro 16 inch. It three USB C \ Thunderbolt ports but when I attempt to connect more than one it will not power the second device. This what I have connected. The two on the left I have USB C connection that goes to my 2-way KVM switch with a HP Dock unit to feed two monitors. The second UBC-C \ Thunderbolt port feeds my OWC Thunderbolt 4 to 10Gib converter. I also have a NVMe external TB 4 enclosure with a 1TB NVMe drive inside. When I connect the NVMe drive the power light will not light up. If I connect the NVMe first and then connect the 10Gbe converter the converter will not work. So it looks like the MacBook Pro can not power two Thunderbolt devices at the same time. Is correct and if so what options do I have?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jun 22, 2022 2:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2022 6:00 AM

kmaultsby18 wrote:

Hello all, I am having issues with my new Mac Pro 16 inch. It three USB C \ Thunderbolt ports but when I attempt to connect more than one it will not power the second device. This what I have connected.

The two on the left I have USB C connection that goes to my 2-way KVM switch with a HP Dock unit to feed two monitors.

The second UBC-C \ Thunderbolt port feeds my OWC Thunderbolt 4 to 10Gib converter.

I also have a NVMe external TB 4 enclosure with a 1TB NVMe drive inside. When I connect the NVMe drive the power light will not light up. If I connect the NVMe first and then connect the 10Gbe converter the converter will not work. So it looks like the MacBook Pro can not power two Thunderbolt devices at the same time. Is correct and if so what options do I have?

Do these 2 external Monitors have their own independent power supply...?

Independent power where possible if an option, may resolve your issue if you are drawing too much power to go around.

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line Apple Support

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2022 6:00 AM in response to kmaultsby18

kmaultsby18 wrote:

Hello all, I am having issues with my new Mac Pro 16 inch. It three USB C \ Thunderbolt ports but when I attempt to connect more than one it will not power the second device. This what I have connected.

The two on the left I have USB C connection that goes to my 2-way KVM switch with a HP Dock unit to feed two monitors.

The second UBC-C \ Thunderbolt port feeds my OWC Thunderbolt 4 to 10Gib converter.

I also have a NVMe external TB 4 enclosure with a 1TB NVMe drive inside. When I connect the NVMe drive the power light will not light up. If I connect the NVMe first and then connect the 10Gbe converter the converter will not work. So it looks like the MacBook Pro can not power two Thunderbolt devices at the same time. Is correct and if so what options do I have?

Do these 2 external Monitors have their own independent power supply...?

Independent power where possible if an option, may resolve your issue if you are drawing too much power to go around.

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line Apple Support

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Can not use three Thunderbolt connections at the same time on MacBrook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.