Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I share my desktop folder?

I have enabled SMB File Sharing on my M1 MacBook Pro running up to date Monterey.

I can connect to my Mac on windows and logging in with user name and password I am able to see my User folder contents.

I can access most of the directory contents except for the privileged type folders such as Desktop/Downloads which I get a "you don't have access" error from windows.

How can allow access to these folders via file sharing.

I have tried adding the Desktop folder specifically as a shared folder in File Sharing and given permissions, but this does not help.

It feels like I need to add "File Sharing" into the security & privacy settings of files and folders.

Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 22, 2022 5:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2022 5:28 AM

I have smbd in Full Disk Access, and I can browse my Desktop, Documents, and Downloads from another Mac. I don't have a windows pc to try.

If you are logging in as that user, then I would assume adding the folders to file sharing will just muck things up.

Similar questions

2 replies

How do I share my desktop folder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.