Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Auto-Capitalization

Hi there, when I am in my Mail app, my computer keeps auto-capsing the entire word of Buena Vista - into BUENA VISTA. I have double-checked by Keyboard short cuts and turned off Text Replacement in the message. Do you know how to turn this off? Thank you!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Jun 22, 2022 5:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2022 5:55 AM

Consider upgrading to macOS 12.4 (current), though I believe at some point, you told the Mac to learn BUENA VISTA and added it to your spelling dictionary. Along comes Apple Mail, where you may have Spelling and Grammar > Correct Spelling Automatically enabled, and it sees Buena Vista typed and then auto-corrects it to upper case. Turn this automatic spelling correction off, and enter Buena Vista again to see if it remains in its expected mixed case.

My Apple Mail in macOS 12.4 does not upper-case Buena Vista, with or without Correct Spelling Automatically enabled, and there is no entry in my /Users/USER/Library/Spelling/LocalDictionary for Buena or Vista.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2022 5:55 AM in response to taylorfromlubbock

Consider upgrading to macOS 12.4 (current), though I believe at some point, you told the Mac to learn BUENA VISTA and added it to your spelling dictionary. Along comes Apple Mail, where you may have Spelling and Grammar > Correct Spelling Automatically enabled, and it sees Buena Vista typed and then auto-corrects it to upper case. Turn this automatic spelling correction off, and enter Buena Vista again to see if it remains in its expected mixed case.

My Apple Mail in macOS 12.4 does not upper-case Buena Vista, with or without Correct Spelling Automatically enabled, and there is no entry in my /Users/USER/Library/Spelling/LocalDictionary for Buena or Vista.

Jun 22, 2022 7:49 AM in response to taylorfromlubbock

Click on your Desktop to wake the Finder up. Then press shift+cmd+G to open the Go To Folder dialog. Copy/paste the following into that dialog and press enter:

~/Library/Spelling

This will open a Finder window on that folder location, and you should see a text file in there named LocalDictionary. Click once on it and then press the spacebar to open a Quick Look window on its contents. Is BUENA VISTA listed in it? If it is that can be fixed.

Auto-Capitalization

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.