Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone says I have to update my sw

Dear all,

after upgrading to Catalina it happens that when I connect my iPhone to my Macbook through an USB port (just for charging the phone), iPhone starts beeping continously and a message says I have to update my sw. Here is the link Se vedi un messaggio che indica che per connetterti al tuo dispositivo iOS devi aggiornare il software su iPhone, iPad o iPod touch - Supporto Apple (IT) where Apple explains what to do in such a situation (unfortunately the link connects to a page in italian language! I wasn't be able to find the same in english!)

My iPhone has the newest iOS available (15.5).

What does it mean that I have to update my sw? Have I to upgrade my MacOs? I don't believe that it is necessary to do so!

When I was working with High Sierra it happened that the same message was shown but -after clicking on the button "not now"- I could go further witout any problem.

Thank you if you can let me understand what can i do...

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jun 22, 2022 7:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2022 9:04 AM

Have I to upgrade my MacOs?

See ⤵️

Quando colleghi il tuo iPhone, iPad, o iPod touch a un Mac con macOS 10.11 o versioni successive, è possibile che tu debba aggiornare il software sul Mac affinché questo riconosca il tuo dispositivo iOS. 

When you connect your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to a Mac with macOS 10.11 or later, you may need to update the software on your Mac in order for it to recognise your iOS device.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2022 9:04 AM in response to Alberto Ferrari1

Have I to upgrade my MacOs?

See ⤵️

Quando colleghi il tuo iPhone, iPad, o iPod touch a un Mac con macOS 10.11 o versioni successive, è possibile che tu debba aggiornare il software sul Mac affinché questo riconosca il tuo dispositivo iOS. 

When you connect your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to a Mac with macOS 10.11 or later, you may need to update the software on your Mac in order for it to recognise your iOS device.

Jun 24, 2022 3:26 PM in response to Raicya

Questo era un sospetto, ma credo sia evidente che è una pretesa assurda se uno sta usando un Mac che non regge bene il MacOs più recente, ma credo abbia comunque il diritto di poter collegare il proprio iPhone al Mac senza dover forzatamente aggiornare il System.

Comunque il fatto è ancora più grave perchè, quando collego l'iPhone al MAC, parte anche Foto (benchè abbia scelto l'opzione di non procedere in automatico ad effettuare il download dall'iPhone quando viene collegato al Mac) e pretende che io scarichi le foto dall'iPhone. Scherziamo?

I suspected I'd be obliged to do the upgrade, but I can quietly say that this is an absurd request and Apple should take into account that I may be using an older Macbook that cannot work at its best with the most recent MacOses. Nevertheless I presume I'd still have the right to connect my iPhone to my Macbook without being compelled to upgrade my System software.

Anyway I must point out a worst situation. If I connect my iPhone with my Macbook, Photos automatically starts (by itself!!) and keeps on asking over and over to download photos from my iPhone (even if I had chosen the option not to start the download when my iPhone is connected... Awkwardly Photos overrides my option and I cannot use this software any more until I let it start the download from my iPhone or until I disconnect my iPhone and quit Photos...) Is Apple kidding me?!?

iPhone says I have to update my sw

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.