Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Watch 5 - Vo2max not updating since 2 months

Hello community,

I'm using my Apple Watch 5 GPS with SW Version 8.6 for my outdoor running workouts. Basically I'm tracking my running workouts since I bought the watch in 2020. Vo2max was always calculated on each running workout.

I'm wondering why my last cardio fitness (Vo2 max) data point was set on 20. April 2022. Between the last data point and today (22. June 2022) were approx. 15 outdoor running workouts.

I've already restarted the watch, unpaired from my iPhone 11 Pro Max and set up as completely new watch. Still no change.

Any suggestions? I'm very grateful for any help.

Thanks in advance

Apple Watch Series 5

Posted on Jun 22, 2022 11:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2022 11:18 AM

Possible Solutions for Vo2Max

1.Tighten the watch band a touch and clean the sensors on the bottom of the watch..

2.Reset fitness calibration.

3.Input a VO2 max figure manually based off your last record from the health app then re-calibrate the watch.

4.Put the watch in airplane mode,do a walking/running or hiking workout of at least 20 minutes,when you've finished turn airplane mode off and let the watch sync the data to the phone.

Other foum members solutions;

Put my phone in airplane mode and made sure that bluetooth also was off. Normal airplane mode won't disable bluetooth if you have an Apple Watch. I checked on the watch that it was completely cut off from the phone.Did a 25 minute outdoor walk.

And that did it! When the walk was finished I had a VO2 Max reading with the watch as data source!

Today I did another walk, the exact same route, but with my watch fully connected to the phone. After the walk I got a new data point, so it seems to be working as it should.

Puzzl1ng

User level:Level 1

(21 points)

Apple WatchSpeciality level out of ten: 0

Oct 20, 2020 11:50 AM in response to Puzzl1ng

Update: 2020/10/20

Finally, a solution!

A couple of days ago, I went for a walk. I started the Workout-Outdoors Walk but for some reason I forgot to link the watch to the iphone as I always do and kept it on airplane mode. I walked for about 25 minutes then synced with the phone not expecting anything to happen. I was surprised to see a VO2 max recorded.

Emboldened, I kept the watch linked to the iphone and went for another 25 minute walk hoping to get another VO2 max reading. Surprisingly, *no* VO2 max was recorded during the second walk.

Since that day, I have done a few runs and multiple walks while keeping the watch in airplane mode in all of them: each one recorded a VO2 max without a problem.

So put your watch on airplane mode, go for a run/walk, and see if it helps.

Oct 1, 2020 4:39 AM in response to Scheldon

Hi,

I managed to get my Apple Watch to record a VO2 Max today. I've done a number of things recently so I'll list the key things for others to see if this works for them.

I manually added a VO2 Max entry at the start of the week.

I completed my first run duration of over 20 mins, hoping that would trigger something. It didn't.

I immediately completed a Walk of over 20 mins. My Apple Watch updated the VO2 Max immediately after the Walk.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2022 11:18 AM in response to Rat-tat-tat-tat

Possible Solutions for Vo2Max

1.Tighten the watch band a touch and clean the sensors on the bottom of the watch..

2.Reset fitness calibration.

3.Input a VO2 max figure manually based off your last record from the health app then re-calibrate the watch.

4.Put the watch in airplane mode,do a walking/running or hiking workout of at least 20 minutes,when you've finished turn airplane mode off and let the watch sync the data to the phone.

Other foum members solutions;

Put my phone in airplane mode and made sure that bluetooth also was off. Normal airplane mode won't disable bluetooth if you have an Apple Watch. I checked on the watch that it was completely cut off from the phone.Did a 25 minute outdoor walk.

And that did it! When the walk was finished I had a VO2 Max reading with the watch as data source!

Today I did another walk, the exact same route, but with my watch fully connected to the phone. After the walk I got a new data point, so it seems to be working as it should.

Puzzl1ng

User level:Level 1

(21 points)

Apple WatchSpeciality level out of ten: 0

Oct 20, 2020 11:50 AM in response to Puzzl1ng

Update: 2020/10/20

Finally, a solution!

A couple of days ago, I went for a walk. I started the Workout-Outdoors Walk but for some reason I forgot to link the watch to the iphone as I always do and kept it on airplane mode. I walked for about 25 minutes then synced with the phone not expecting anything to happen. I was surprised to see a VO2 max recorded.

Emboldened, I kept the watch linked to the iphone and went for another 25 minute walk hoping to get another VO2 max reading. Surprisingly, *no* VO2 max was recorded during the second walk.

Since that day, I have done a few runs and multiple walks while keeping the watch in airplane mode in all of them: each one recorded a VO2 max without a problem.

So put your watch on airplane mode, go for a run/walk, and see if it helps.

Oct 1, 2020 4:39 AM in response to Scheldon

Hi,

I managed to get my Apple Watch to record a VO2 Max today. I've done a number of things recently so I'll list the key things for others to see if this works for them.

I manually added a VO2 Max entry at the start of the week.

I completed my first run duration of over 20 mins, hoping that would trigger something. It didn't.

I immediately completed a Walk of over 20 mins. My Apple Watch updated the VO2 Max immediately after the Walk.

Jun 25, 2022 1:41 AM in response to Community User

I've switched off bluetooth on my phone and watch and both devices I've set to airplane mode prior to my running workout. I've then done a running workout for approx. 40 minutes.

After completion I've set Bluetooth on and airplane mode off on both devices.

A new data point for cardiofitness VO2 max was set with my workout data from my watch as data source.

Thank you for the helpful and immediate answer.

Best regards.

Watch 5 - Vo2max not updating since 2 months

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.