Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reset Mac?

Followed the apple support article for how to reset your Mac and I did everything that they listed in the correct order, and it didn’t work at all. Now I have a portion of my hard drive being taken up by over 90GB of “Container” files. Whatever the heck that means. I did all of this to delete everything so I could get back my storage space, and instead I’m right where I started, but even worse off. Help

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 22, 2022 11:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2022 12:31 PM

Follow these instructions: Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support.

Pay attention to Steps 3 and 4. "The device" in its context refers to the entire storage device, meaning not a volume or partition subordinate to that device.

The note at the end of Step 5 finally makes it clear: "—it’s at the top of the hierarchy."

The above assumes you are using an Intel Mac and not a Mac with Apple silicon. If you have one of them, follow Erase your Mac - Apple Support instead.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2022 12:31 PM in response to Catalyst2021

Follow these instructions: Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support.

Pay attention to Steps 3 and 4. "The device" in its context refers to the entire storage device, meaning not a volume or partition subordinate to that device.

The note at the end of Step 5 finally makes it clear: "—it’s at the top of the hierarchy."

The above assumes you are using an Intel Mac and not a Mac with Apple silicon. If you have one of them, follow Erase your Mac - Apple Support instead.

How to reset Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.