Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TouchID not opening notes on iphone

I didn't get a new phone or change any passwords. 4 hours ago, Touch ID worked to LOCK the note, but now my phone is asking me for a password to UNLOCK the note and won't let me use Touch ID. If Apple is going to randomly require password authentication instead of touch ID that should be part of the warnings!

iPhone SE, iOS 15

Posted on Jun 22, 2022 3:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2022 3:25 PM

There are things that cause the password to have to be re-entered in order to enable Touch ID again. I don't know what all those conditions are, but your iPhone passcode to unlock the phone is the same type of thing. I highly doubt it's 'random' in any way.

If you forgot the notes password, it would have just been a matter of time before you were locked out of that note anyways. Touch ID does not replace your password. It's a convenience or a shortcut.

You can continue to guess, and if you used a password hint, should be displayed for ya.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2022 3:25 PM in response to notsouserfriendly75

There are things that cause the password to have to be re-entered in order to enable Touch ID again. I don't know what all those conditions are, but your iPhone passcode to unlock the phone is the same type of thing. I highly doubt it's 'random' in any way.

If you forgot the notes password, it would have just been a matter of time before you were locked out of that note anyways. Touch ID does not replace your password. It's a convenience or a shortcut.

You can continue to guess, and if you used a password hint, should be displayed for ya.

TouchID not opening notes on iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.