Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stop Photos decreasing jpg size

Editing in Mac Photos always seems to reduce the file size. Is there any way to avoid this, or to get a choice of size to save?

iMac 24″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 23, 2022 1:58 AM

Similar questions

11 replies

Jun 23, 2022 2:34 AM in response to jamesfp

You write "... always seems to reduce the file size ..."

Did you check if the file size or resolution of your photos is changing after you have edited it?

Are these photos in Photos App or are they somewhere on your computer without importing them in Photos App?

Please write down file size & resolution of a few photos before you edit them.

Right click on the photo and then "Get Info" will give you the file size.

Then do some editing and compare the file size before and after.

One of the benefits of using Apple Photos App is normally that the editing is "non destructive", you are not really saving the editing steps in the JPEG as soon as you do the editing.

All steps are recorded in the Photos Library and can be reversed if needed, therefore you always have the original data.

Photo editing basics in Photos on Mac - Apple Support (CA)

Would be great if you have some examples where this is not working.

Ralf

Jun 23, 2022 9:42 AM in response to jamesfp

Any time you edit a jpeg file it will be resaved with additional jpeg compression. That's the nature of the beast.

Resolution is the number of pixels/dots per inch when viewed/printed. Unless you crop an image the total number of pixels in the image does not change.

As for printed resolution it will depend on the size of the print. It's described in this article: The Myth of DPI.

Jun 23, 2022 10:20 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Tony, I've just realised that in my haste I've been going straight past "Export 1 Photo" to looking at the final result – not realising that I could modify jpeg quality from "High" to "Maximum. TIFs would probably take up a lot of memory, but I could use that option for special big pics. Many thanks Tony, and my apologies for being slow on the uptake!

How to stop Photos decreasing jpg size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.