Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recents folder in Favorites

My Recents folder only points to all the movies I have on my hard drive and NOT to recent files I have opened. How can I change what the Recents tab is pointing to? I am running Mac OS Monterey 12.4.

Posted on Jun 23, 2022 1:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2022 4:48 PM

Robin eve wrote:

I am opening the files in Finder and they don't show up.

Maybe something wrong with your Spotlight index. Try rebuilding it: Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support

Recents arranges them by file size and then date, so all my big files [movies] show first, and then photos, downloads, etc. Finally, documents which is what I most want to see. SOOOOOO frustrating.

Change the sort and grouping View Options for the window. The default sorts by Date Added. I'm not sure how yours would change.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2022 4:48 PM in response to Robin eve

Robin eve wrote:

I am opening the files in Finder and they don't show up.

Maybe something wrong with your Spotlight index. Try rebuilding it: Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support

Recents arranges them by file size and then date, so all my big files [movies] show first, and then photos, downloads, etc. Finally, documents which is what I most want to see. SOOOOOO frustrating.

Change the sort and grouping View Options for the window. The default sorts by Date Added. I'm not sure how yours would change.

Jun 23, 2022 4:15 PM in response to Robin eve

It will only show files you have opened in the Finder. If you open them from an app, they will generally not appear in Recents.

When you create a file, that will also not necessarily cause the file to appear in Recents.

Are files you open from the Finder not showing up there?

Recents is a Search folder. You cannot change it.

If you want a better search folder that finds things you want, you would have to create that yourself.

Recents folder in Favorites

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.