Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photos

[Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6] When I add a screen capture photo or move a photo to my photos file and I click on it there a screen comes up that asks for the original which cannot be found. This only started recently. What can I do to make this stop?

Posted on Jun 24, 2022 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2022 10:51 AM

The thing is, most people do check "Copy Items to Library." If it isn't checked, then Photos may not know where your pictures are. If it is not checked, then when you add pictures to Photos, it just tries to remember where each picture came from. If anything moves, Photos will lose track of it. If the "Copy Items to Library" is checked, Photos makes a copy to store inside its Library package so that the photos and the data base that goes with them are always together. Of course, this means there are two copies of the pictures. But then you can delete the folder they came from (or move it to another disk) and Photos will work just find. This disconnect from a folder containing the originals is what usually causes the "cannot be found" problem.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2022 10:51 AM in response to TempeTaylor

The thing is, most people do check "Copy Items to Library." If it isn't checked, then Photos may not know where your pictures are. If it is not checked, then when you add pictures to Photos, it just tries to remember where each picture came from. If anything moves, Photos will lose track of it. If the "Copy Items to Library" is checked, Photos makes a copy to store inside its Library package so that the photos and the data base that goes with them are always together. Of course, this means there are two copies of the pictures. But then you can delete the folder they came from (or move it to another disk) and Photos will work just find. This disconnect from a folder containing the originals is what usually causes the "cannot be found" problem.

photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.