Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook 12 inch

hello,

I recently just got a MacBook 12 inch 2015, and every time I unplug it, it shuts off. I updated it to Big Sur 11.6.7. I tried checking battery health and it doesn't show. I went under "about this Mac" and then under the power option, it doesn't show battery condition. it also says cycle count is at 0. in addition, the full charge capacity is at 0 too. what should I do to fix this problem? is this a battery that needs to be changed or is the charger the problem? please, can anyone respond as quick as possible?

Posted on Jun 24, 2022 5:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2022 9:06 PM

mellismee Said:

"macbook 12 inch hello, I recently just got a MacBook 12 inch 2015, and every time I unplug it, it shuts off.[...]"

-------

Some links to refer to...

Troubleshooting MacBook Pro Power:

A. Black Mac Screen:

Go Here: If your Mac doesn't Turn On or Start Up - Apple Support

Using External Devices: Try Resetting the SMC and NVRAM, but this time, using an external keyboard. Connect an external monitor and see if you get an output.

B. Mac Power Issues:

Try a New Charger:

If it is currently charging from a charger, then use a new charger:

A Few Links to Refer to Power:

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2022 9:06 PM in response to mellismee

mellismee Said:

"macbook 12 inch hello, I recently just got a MacBook 12 inch 2015, and every time I unplug it, it shuts off.[...]"

-------

Some links to refer to...

Troubleshooting MacBook Pro Power:

A. Black Mac Screen:

Go Here: If your Mac doesn't Turn On or Start Up - Apple Support

Using External Devices: Try Resetting the SMC and NVRAM, but this time, using an external keyboard. Connect an external monitor and see if you get an output.

B. Mac Power Issues:

Try a New Charger:

If it is currently charging from a charger, then use a new charger:

A Few Links to Refer to Power:

Jun 24, 2022 8:59 PM in response to mellismee

How did you obtain it?

The thing I'm thinking is that the battery diagnostic system was corrupted, and/or perhaps someone "reflashed" the data that contains things such as the estimated battery capacity and the running cycle total.

At that age it's likely that it needs a new battery. I'm not sure if it would be eligible for an OEM battery from Apple though if it's been modified. However, it may still be eligible for a battery replacement service if the only issue is the battery.

A 2015 MacBook is considered "vintage" (up to 7 years since last distributed) by Apple, although Apple may have Mac batteries available for up to 10 year from the last time of distribution.

Obtaining service for your Apple product after an expired warranty - Apple Support

It seems that the battery replacement on a 12" MacBook is really difficult and costs about the same as the newer MacBook Pro batteries. Apple does this as a complete top case replacement when done by Apple, as the battery is glued into place. It's also supposed to be a real pain to do. What Apple will do is replace the entire case, and then refurbish it with a new battery at a central location to put back into service for another customer.

macbook 12 inch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.