Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

syncing iphone and mac without deleting info on my iphone

I have a macbook air from 2017. It has all my music on it.

I have an iphone 7 from 2017 and I want to put all my music onto the iphone 7.

I connected the iphone to the macbook and I got the screen saying

"do you want to set up as a new iphone or restore from a backup".

I dont want to do either, I just want to transfer my music from the macbook to the iphone.

How do I circumvent this screen so I can sync my music?

iPhone 7, iOS 15

Posted on Jun 25, 2022 1:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2022 7:55 AM

If you have media content on the phone that isn't in your library see Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device - Apple Community. When you opt to sync media from your computer anything already on the device will be removed.

You want to set up the phone as a new device. This in itself doesn't change anything on it (that comes later when you set up sync selections) but it does allow your Macbook to connect to the iPhone, and potentially back it up if you don't have iCloud backup enabled.

tt2

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2022 7:55 AM in response to Davidbealby

If you have media content on the phone that isn't in your library see Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device - Apple Community. When you opt to sync media from your computer anything already on the device will be removed.

You want to set up the phone as a new device. This in itself doesn't change anything on it (that comes later when you set up sync selections) but it does allow your Macbook to connect to the iPhone, and potentially back it up if you don't have iCloud backup enabled.

tt2

syncing iphone and mac without deleting info on my iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.