Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Operating Failure

Hello, and thanks in advance.

I am having an odd problem with my MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch Early 2015. Trying to run macOS Catalina.

My MacBook crashed last week and ever since I have been having this issue:

When powering on you hear the chime, but the screen does not turn on (stays blank/black). The keyboard backlight also doesn’t turn on.

The MacBook can be booted into recovery mode, where I am able to erase the disk and reinstall macOS. Doing this actually makes the Mac operate normally. It talks me through the setup process and the Mac works as it should.

However, shutting down the Mac or restarting it puts me right back to the beginning of this process. Obviously this is a very impractical solution!

Is there anything worth trying here to try and solve this issue?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 25, 2022 1:22 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Jun 25, 2022 3:08 PM in response to menzies99

menzies99 wrote:

Hello, and thanks in advance.

I am having an odd problem with my MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch Early 2015. Trying to run macOS Catalina.

My MacBook crashed last week and ever since I have been having this issue:

When powering on you hear the chime, but the screen does not turn on (stays blank/black). The keyboard backlight also doesn’t turn on.

The MacBook can be booted into recovery mode, where I am able to erase the disk and reinstall macOS. Doing this actually makes the Mac operate normally. It talks me through the setup process and the Mac works as it should.

However, shutting down the Mac or restarting it puts me right back to the beginning of this process. Obviously this is a very impractical solution!

Is there anything worth trying here to try and solve this issue?

Can you run the user Diagnostic...not as definitive as Apple's own AST2 (Apple Service Toolkit) back bench diagnostic, but may kick out an error code.

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

MacBook Pro Operating Failure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.