Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting folders from library

On my MacBook Pro my operating system is macOS Monterey version 12.4 in my library there is a folder called messages within that folder there is a number different files. Can these files be deleted or do I have to get them. I am looking a freeing up space. I have attached a screenshot for information. Also is there any other folders within the library like cookies that can be deleted regularly.

Thanks in advance for your help

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jun 25, 2022 3:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2022 3:06 AM

Generally, it's not a good idea to delete anything you didn't create yourself on the drive or copied to the drive. To do otherwise gets into "system" territory and you do not want to delete any of that.

Unfortunately, to delete messages, you do so one at a time. Until Apple adds the feature, if Apple ever does, you can't select multiple messages to delete all at once.

Deleting messages is not likely to free up a significant amount of space unless you have LOT of messages. Files that most often take up the most space are audio-video types: movies, pictures, presentations, videos and the like. User documents should be considered too.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2022 3:06 AM in response to PaulaJE

Generally, it's not a good idea to delete anything you didn't create yourself on the drive or copied to the drive. To do otherwise gets into "system" territory and you do not want to delete any of that.

Unfortunately, to delete messages, you do so one at a time. Until Apple adds the feature, if Apple ever does, you can't select multiple messages to delete all at once.

Deleting messages is not likely to free up a significant amount of space unless you have LOT of messages. Files that most often take up the most space are audio-video types: movies, pictures, presentations, videos and the like. User documents should be considered too.

Jun 26, 2022 3:15 AM in response to PaulaJE

The amount of Space the computer will gain by mucking around in these Folder will be very small and doubt the overall Space Gained will really make much difference.

Then, as pervious poster mentioned, deleting things in the User Home Folder and Library could have unintended consequences including having to reinstall the OS from Recovery Mode.

Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper Safe to use

GrandPerspective 

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

The final word from Apple on Managing the " Other/ System Data “ Category

Other / System Data: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

Deleting folders from library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.