Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use the monitor has a second screen for my iPad Pro?

I have an iPad Pro and an apple monitor. I can easily plug in the monitor to use it as a bigger display - but I’d love to use it as a second screen like I do with my computer.

Is this possible?

Thanks

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Jun 25, 2022 9:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2022 4:10 AM

Most iPad models support AirPlay - and/or connection to a single external monitor using an appropriate HDMI Adapter. The most recent models of iPad Pro also support HDMI Alternate Mode/DisplayPort connections over USB-C. Compatible iPad models can be connected to a single monitor/TV.

You should note that iPad does not currently not support an extended-desktop view - as you may be accustomed with other computers, such as Windows PC - but instead permits the iPad display to be “mirrored” to a compatible external monitor/TV. When mirrored, the iPad’s screen aspect-ratio and relative scaling is preserved. An iPad can, however, “stream” media content directly to an attached monitor at the media’s native aspect ratio.

Connect iPad to a display with a cable - Apple Support

AirPlay system requirements - Apple Support

Apple has publicly announced a new feature for iPadOS16, known as Stage Manager, “with full external display support”. For supported models of iPad, you will be able to use an external monitor as a separate display. iPadOS16 will be released later this year.

Here is a link to Apple’s Press Announcement:

iPadOS 16 takes the versatility of iPad even further - Apple

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2022 4:10 AM in response to NLDE

Most iPad models support AirPlay - and/or connection to a single external monitor using an appropriate HDMI Adapter. The most recent models of iPad Pro also support HDMI Alternate Mode/DisplayPort connections over USB-C. Compatible iPad models can be connected to a single monitor/TV.

You should note that iPad does not currently not support an extended-desktop view - as you may be accustomed with other computers, such as Windows PC - but instead permits the iPad display to be “mirrored” to a compatible external monitor/TV. When mirrored, the iPad’s screen aspect-ratio and relative scaling is preserved. An iPad can, however, “stream” media content directly to an attached monitor at the media’s native aspect ratio.

Connect iPad to a display with a cable - Apple Support

AirPlay system requirements - Apple Support

Apple has publicly announced a new feature for iPadOS16, known as Stage Manager, “with full external display support”. For supported models of iPad, you will be able to use an external monitor as a separate display. iPadOS16 will be released later this year.

Here is a link to Apple’s Press Announcement:

iPadOS 16 takes the versatility of iPad even further - Apple

Can I use the monitor has a second screen for my iPad Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.