Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I remove an app from a child's device which was previously allowed?

I allowed my child to install various apps on her iPhone but have since reassessed the situation and wish to delete them.

However just deleting them from the phone doesn't prevent her from installing them again.

How can I permanently remove the apps from her phone?

Thanks

Posted on Jun 26, 2022 12:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2022 10:21 AM

I allowed my child to install various apps on her iPhone

It sounds like you may have granted persmission through Ask To Buy in which case you can't in your situation, sorry.

From: "Prevent in-app purchases from the App Store" --> Prevent in-app purchases from the App Store - Apple Support

- "You can control purchases on an Apple device in a few ways:

- If children in your Family Sharing group have their own devices, use Ask to Buy ( Approve what kids buy with Ask to Buy - Apple Support ) to screen and approve their purchase requests. However, "If a child redownloads a purchase, downloads a shared purchase, installs an update, or uses a redemption code, the family organizer won’t receive a request. "

I don't know if ScreenTime may help you if in-app purchases are involved.

Use Screen Time on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Others have had similar requests so you may wish to send feedback to Apple. Click on this link for Apple products feedback links --> Product Feedback - Apple

Apple may not respond but your comment will be read.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2022 10:21 AM in response to AHardy42

I allowed my child to install various apps on her iPhone

It sounds like you may have granted persmission through Ask To Buy in which case you can't in your situation, sorry.

From: "Prevent in-app purchases from the App Store" --> Prevent in-app purchases from the App Store - Apple Support

- "You can control purchases on an Apple device in a few ways:

- If children in your Family Sharing group have their own devices, use Ask to Buy ( Approve what kids buy with Ask to Buy - Apple Support ) to screen and approve their purchase requests. However, "If a child redownloads a purchase, downloads a shared purchase, installs an update, or uses a redemption code, the family organizer won’t receive a request. "

I don't know if ScreenTime may help you if in-app purchases are involved.

Use Screen Time on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Others have had similar requests so you may wish to send feedback to Apple. Click on this link for Apple products feedback links --> Product Feedback - Apple

Apple may not respond but your comment will be read.

Jun 26, 2022 12:47 PM in response to AHardy42

See the information in Hide purchases from the App Store - Apple Support including the following:

When you hide an app in your purchase list, it no longer appears in the list of your purchases that's in the App Store. The app will still appear in your complete purchase history in Settings. And if you use Family Sharing, family members can't redownload the app from your list of shared purchases.

Hiding an app won't remove it from your device, a family member's device, or other devices that are signed in with your Apple ID. If you want to remove an app from the Home Screen, customize the Home Screen on your iPhone.

Jun 29, 2022 8:25 AM in response to AHardy42

Bear in mind that people responding here are just other users like you. That said, I have never heard of an ID being "reset". You'd probably have to create a new ID for her with the entailed loss of everything bought and done with the old one. You are welcome to ask Apple is they can help:

Contact Apple for support and service --> "See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world."

Click here --> https://support.apple.com/HT201232

or:

Contact - Official Apple Support. Click here --> Contact - Official Apple Support Select your region from the list and then your country from the pop-up window. If you do not see your country, see if there is an "other" listing for that region.

Jun 27, 2022 1:54 AM in response to FoxFifth

Thanks for the reply, @FoxFifth

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you say, on my child's iPhone, using her Apple ID, I should follow the procedure to hide the apps we want to prevent her from using, and then also remove them from the phone?

That sounds like a plan, but my child is very adept at finding every loophole. Won't it just be possible for her to unhide the apps? Hopefully, the iPhone will request my family sharing Apple ID password if she tries that. I notice that I can't hide her apps from my phone, because it doesn't show me any apps in the list at all.

Jun 29, 2022 3:59 AM in response to Limnos

I do use the Screentime functionality to restrict her available time, but I have just found out that there is a glitch with the controls which allows her to open the app sometimes regardless - she just has to keep trying and at some point it will glitch and open.

I really only thing it can be solved by is removing the app, but if that is not possible then I am stuck. Thanks for the feedback link though.

Is there the possibility of getting her Apple ID reset, so that it appears as if it is new again with no apps in the app store at all?

How do I remove an app from a child's device which was previously allowed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.