Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't get my personal mp3s on phone after subscribing to apple music.

I have a TON of personal mp3s. What i mean is stuff I have recorded myself. Friends' bands who never uploaded to digital services. digitized rare records etc.

Recently I subscribed to apple music for the first time. What I have noticed is ever since i set that up on my phone, it no longer will synch new music I add in itunes to my phone. At one point i turned off apple music and I was able to do it again (adding music to playlists, selecting my phone in itunes and clicking "synch"). but then my apple music playlists disappear.

Is there a way to have BOTH my personal music and be able to add new music (mainly mp3s aiffs wavs) that i have added to itunes AND apple music at the same time?

I have a very old computer (that works great!!) so I am still running itunes version 12.9.5.5 on Mojave operating system. My iphone is a 12. I am NOT planning to upgrade my mac anytime soon.

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jun 26, 2022 2:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2022 11:44 AM

James Campbell,

You are correct that the dotted cloud indicates it hasn't been uploaded: Identify cloud status icons in your music library on your Mac or PC - Apple Support

"Dotted-line cloud icon

A dotted-line cloud

The song is either waiting to be uploaded, can't be matched, no longer available in the Apple Music catalog, or hasn't been released yet. Learn what to do if songs are taking a long time to upload."

The link above has some steps that could apply in this case: If your songs are grayed out - Apple Support

If you find that doesn't help, we recommend contacting Apple directly: Get Support

Take care.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2022 11:44 AM in response to James Campbell

James Campbell,

You are correct that the dotted cloud indicates it hasn't been uploaded: Identify cloud status icons in your music library on your Mac or PC - Apple Support

"Dotted-line cloud icon

A dotted-line cloud

The song is either waiting to be uploaded, can't be matched, no longer available in the Apple Music catalog, or hasn't been released yet. Learn what to do if songs are taking a long time to upload."

The link above has some steps that could apply in this case: If your songs are grayed out - Apple Support

If you find that doesn't help, we recommend contacting Apple directly: Get Support

Take care.

Jun 28, 2022 7:13 AM in response to James Campbell

Hi James Campbell,

We know you mentioned in your first post that you have an older Mac running iTunes; since that product has been retired from the Mac, we'll be limited to recent information published by Apple. 

What we do know is that on the updated Music app on the Mac, you must turn off Sync Library and manually sync your music. You also confirmed this in your first post. If your friends band's music isn't in the Apple Music library, it won't automatically sync.

Important: If you subscribe to Apple Music, your music is transferred automatically to all your devices and no syncing is required. You can’t use the syncing method described here unless you turn off the Sync Library option in Apple Music preferences.

The information above is from Sync music between your Mac and iPhone or iPad. You will need to select one method or the other; either syncing manually or automatic syncing. 

While what you're asking for isn't currently a feature, you can provide feedback to Apple by going to Product Feedback and picking the most appropriate product or service. That way your feedback can get to the team that manages these features.

We hope that helps with your question and take care!

Jun 27, 2022 11:38 AM in response to karina184

That didnt work unfortunately. yes, sync library is turned on on my iphone in settings. I have also gone into itunes and turned on "icloud music library". (the link above says to click "sync library" but my itunes does not have that option).

Right now all of my music in my itunes library shows a dotted cloud next to it.. which i think is supposed to mean it is waiting to be uploaded. But nothing is happening.. screenshot attached:

Jun 27, 2022 3:59 PM in response to ryane77

If you look at my original question, this is exactly what I am asking: One of the possible problems is " hasn't been released yet".. I am talking about Mp3s i have recorded myself of my own music. These are things that are not streaming on apple music, which is why i have them in itunes. They are personal recordings not available elsewhere. How do i get those onto my iphone while I also have an apple music subscription. I was able to transfer them when i turned off apple music. But i want BOTH. I want to be able to access my own personal music and apple music at the same time. is there no way to do that? I understand that for most people, the music they listen to is all commercially available on apple music, but my music is not. It is why i have a hard drive of personal mp3s and why i have had several generations of ipods and iphones that i could listen to them on.

can't get my personal mp3s on phone after subscribing to apple music.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.